India lose to USA in bronze medal match at 4-Nation tourney
New Delhi: The Indian women`s hockey team lost 1-2 to USA via a golden goal in the bronze medal play-off match to return empty handed from the first leg of the Four-Nation Tournament.
Locked 1-1 at the end of the regulation time, India conceded a penalty stroke three minutes into extra time, which USA captain Lauren Crandall converted easily to pocket the bronze medal at the Harbour Hockey Stadium in Auckland. Both India and USA played a defensive game and it was the latter who took the lead in the 47th minute through a penalty corner, converted beautifully by Shannon Taylor.
Down 0-1, the Indian eves had no option but to go for the offensive. The move resulted in some good penetrations into the American circle but India`s forward line lacked finishing.
India finally managed to restore parity in the 56th minute when Chanchan Thokchom tapped the ball home after receiving a pass from Poonam Rani.
Thereafter, USA got as many as four clear cut scoring chances in the form of penalty corners but failed to convert a single one as the match went into additional time.
In just the third minute of the extra time, USA earned a penalty stroke when Shannon Taylor`s direct hit from a setpiece struck India`s pole player Joydeep`s foot, and Crandall made no mistake in slamming home the ball.
Hosts New Zealand won the gold by beating Australia 3-2 in the summit clash. The second leg of the Four-Nation Tournament will be played at Lloyd Elsmore Hockey Stadium in Pakuranga, New Zealand from April 18- 22.
India will take on USA on Wednesday followed by matches against Australia and New Zealand.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata