India loses 1-2 to Belgium, finishes 6th in World League Final
New Delhi: Hosts India blew away a goal lead and conceded two late goals to go down 1-2 against Belgium to finish sixth in the Hero Hockey World League Final on a chilly evening at the Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium, here today.
It was a hard-fought match between the two sides as both India and Belgium matched each other stick by stick and were in no mood to give an inch to the other in the fifth-sixth place classification game.
Vice-captain P R Sreejesh had a busy outing today under the Indian goal but the lanky custodian pulled off numerous saves throughout the entire 70 minutes to keep India in the hunt till the final hooter.
After a barren but competitive first half, India drew the first blood in the 59th minute through a field goal from Nikkin Thimmaiah to send the significant home crowd present at the stadium into raptures.
But India did not have the last laugh as the Red Lions made a spirited fightback, pumping in two goals in a span of two minutes at the dying stages of the match to secure the fifth position in the eight-team event.
The sixth place finish here is certain to give a major boost to India`s world rankings. India are presently lying 10th in the world rankings but the performance here is certain to help India jump three places to the seventh position in the International Hockey Federation (FIH) rankings
However, Belgium, who are currently ranked fifth in the world, are likely to slip to the sixth place when FIH rankings will be released after the conclusion of this tournament.
India were yet again slow to get off the blocks as Belgium dominated the early share of possession.
Belgium made a promising start and raided the Indian goal as early as in the second minute but an agile Sreejesh denied Tom Boon`s reverse shot.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Athletes’ Report Card: See how the Indian athletes performed at the 2016 Olympic Games
- Over 400 flights grounded as Tokyo prepares to take a direct hit from typhoon
- Kamal Haasan to be conferred French award
- New laser created from jellyfish proteins
- Rohit Shetty's 'Ram Lakhan' remake not happening anymore? Here's what we know so far!