India men lose 2-4 to Netherlands in European Tour
New Delhi: India fought hard before slumping to its second defeat of the European tour, losing 2-4 to The Netherlands at The Hague.
The Netherlands started the game on an attacking mode yesterday, as Mirco Pruyser successfully sliced in a goal as early as in the ninth minute of the game.
The Indians were in for a rude shock as Glenn Schuurman and Tristan Algera pumped in two more goals in the 15th and the 28th minutes respectively, to hand The Netherlands a comfortable 3-0 lead at the midway mark.
The Indians, however, produced a spirited fightback in the second half and pulled a goal back through SK Uthappa (37th minute) before captain Sardar Singh (40th) registered his name in the scoresheet after a long time to bring life back into the match.
But the Dutchmen made life difficult for India in the 60th minute when Billy Baker slammed home to make the scoreline 4-2 in their favour.
The Indian men had earlier thrashed Leiden Hockey Club 7-0 in the first build-up game at Oegstgeest before playing out a 3-3 draw with HGC Hockey Club in the next game of the tour, organised as preparation for the FIH men`s World Cup to be held at The Hague from May 31 to June 15.
The Sardar Singh-led side slumped to its first defeat in the tour -- 1-2 against Belgium -- in their next game.
India will play their fifth and the last build up game of the tour against The Netherlands on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list