India reach Ipoh in search of sixth Azlan Shah title
Ipoh (Malaysia): Eyeing their sixth title, erstwhile heavyweights of the game India today arrived here for the 21st Sultan Azlan Shah Cup hockey tournament to be played from May 24 to June 3.
The tournament, to be played on blue artificial pitch with yellow balls, will provide India with vital practice ahead of the upcoming Olympics as barring hosts Malaysia, all other participating teams will be featuring at the London Games.
Apart from India and hosts Malaysia, the seven-nation tournament will also feature Argentina, Great Britain, Korea, New Zealand and arch-rivals Pakistan.
The 18-member Indian team will be led by goalkeeper Bharat Chetri with midfielder Sardar Singh as his deputy.
India will open their campaign against New Zealand on the first day of the tournament, followed by matches against Korea (May 25), Great Britain (May 27), Malaysia (May 28), Argentina (May 30) and Pakistan (May 31).
India have won the Azlan Shah title on five occasions earlier -- in 1985, 1991, 1995, 2009 and 2010.
Just-recovered striker Yuvraj Walmiki has replaced Gurvinder Singh Chandi, who suffered from a hamstring injury during the London Olympic Test event early this month, in the Indian team.
Goalkeepers: Bharat Chetri (Capt) and Sreejesh PR.
Defenders: Sandeep Singh, VR Raghunath and Rupinderpal Singh.
Midfielders: Birendra Lakra, Sardar Singh (Vice-Capt), Manpreet Singh, Gurbaj Singh and Kothajit Singh Khadangbam.
Forwards: SV Sunil, Dharamvir Singh, Sarvanjit Singh, Yuvraj Walmiki, Shivendra Singh, Danish Mujtaba, S K Uthappa and Tushar Khandker.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets