India`s badminton fraternity proud to host Thomas and Uber cup finals in New Delhi
New Delhi: India`s badminton fraternity has said that it is looking forward to hosting the Thomas Cup and Uber Cup finals for the first time in New Delhi.
The Thomas Cup and Uber Cup finals are scheduled to take place at the Siri Fort Sports Complex here between May 18 and May 25.
Ace shuttler P. Kashyap is the captain of the men`s team for the Thomas Cup, while Saina Nehwal will be the captain of the women`s team for the Uber Cup.
The Badminton World Federation (BWF) has already done away with qualifiers and the teams have qualified on the basis of player rankings.
National team coach Pullela Gopichand said: "We have a great event in our country.It`s the first time we are hosting the Thomas and Uber Cup finals. Even if somebody had said this to me about three to four years back that we would be hosting it, I would have said not possible."
"I would really like to congratulate BAI (Badminton Association of India) President Akhilesh Das Gupta, and the BWF ( Badminton World Federation) for letting this happen.It is a dream for me personally to have such a big event in our country. I just hope and wish that we as a nation do well in this event,"| Gopichand added.
Das Gupta said :"The Thomas Cup and Uber Cup matches will be played by world class players and all top notch countries, including China, will be participating in it. It is going to be a very great show. And, I am very hopeful about our Indian team."
Ace woman shuttler Jwala Gutta said: "I think it`s a great opportunity for the Indian crowd to witness world class badminton at the highest level. I think it`s our great privelege to be representing the country and playing in front of the home crowd. And, I think I am sure, speaking on behalf of the whole team, I think everybody is very excited."
World number 8 shuttler Saina Nehwal was also present at the interaction with the media ahead of the two fixtures.
In Uber Cup, India have been clubbed with Thailand, Canada and Hong Kong. In the Thomas Cup, India is clubbed with Malaysia, South Korea and Germany in Group C
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says