India`s FIBA Asia meet opener against Bahrain
New Delhi: Indian men`s basketball team will be playing their first game of the 27th FIBA Asia Championship against Bahrain Thursday in Manila, the Philippines.
The team finished their training-cum-preparation trip in Turkey July 20-29, during which they won all their matches with a 30-plus point margin.
The 27th FIBA Asia Championship will be played Aug 1-11 in Manila, the Philippines.
The tournament will begin with 15 teams divided into four groups (Group A, B, C and D) in the preliminary round. India have been placed in group D along with Thailand, Bahrain and Kazakhstan as the other three teams.
After their encounter against Bahrain, India will play Thailand Friday. In their last encounter in the preliminary round India take on Kazakhstan Saturday.
Three teams from each group will qualify for the second round of the tournament. The top three teams from the tournament will qualify for the 2016 Olympics to be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
India have made 22 appearances so far in the FIBA Asian Championship with their first appearance in 1965 and have been placed fourth twice -- in 1965 and 1975.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Italy mourns quake victims, death toll rises to 291
- Kriti Sanon can't wait to watch 'MS Dhoni - The Untold Story'
- Indian women's hockey stars humiliated, made to sit on floor of train on way back home from Rio
- Donald Trump vows 'tracking system' to deport everyone whose visa expires
- Rockets fired at Turkey's Diyarbakir airport