India`s FIBA Asia meet opener against Bahrain
New Delhi: Indian men`s basketball team will be playing their first game of the 27th FIBA Asia Championship against Bahrain Thursday in Manila, the Philippines.
The team finished their training-cum-preparation trip in Turkey July 20-29, during which they won all their matches with a 30-plus point margin.
The 27th FIBA Asia Championship will be played Aug 1-11 in Manila, the Philippines.
The tournament will begin with 15 teams divided into four groups (Group A, B, C and D) in the preliminary round. India have been placed in group D along with Thailand, Bahrain and Kazakhstan as the other three teams.
After their encounter against Bahrain, India will play Thailand Friday. In their last encounter in the preliminary round India take on Kazakhstan Saturday.
Three teams from each group will qualify for the second round of the tournament. The top three teams from the tournament will qualify for the 2016 Olympics to be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
India have made 22 appearances so far in the FIBA Asian Championship with their first appearance in 1965 and have been placed fourth twice -- in 1965 and 1975.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert