India`s FIBA Asia meet opener against Bahrain
New Delhi: Indian men`s basketball team will be playing their first game of the 27th FIBA Asia Championship against Bahrain Thursday in Manila, the Philippines.
The team finished their training-cum-preparation trip in Turkey July 20-29, during which they won all their matches with a 30-plus point margin.
The 27th FIBA Asia Championship will be played Aug 1-11 in Manila, the Philippines.
The tournament will begin with 15 teams divided into four groups (Group A, B, C and D) in the preliminary round. India have been placed in group D along with Thailand, Bahrain and Kazakhstan as the other three teams.
After their encounter against Bahrain, India will play Thailand Friday. In their last encounter in the preliminary round India take on Kazakhstan Saturday.
Three teams from each group will qualify for the second round of the tournament. The top three teams from the tournament will qualify for the 2016 Olympics to be held in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
India have made 22 appearances so far in the FIBA Asian Championship with their first appearance in 1965 and have been placed fourth twice -- in 1965 and 1975.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured