India swamp Singapore to finish 7th in Asia Cup Basketball
Mumbai: India ended their campaign in the 5th FIBA Asia Cup Basketball at Wuhan, China Sturday by swamping Singapore 85-36 to finish seventh in the tournament.
India, ranked 11th in the continent and 61st in the world, outplayed their South East Asian rivals from the beginning and were totally in control in all four quarters except the third where they experienced some fight from Singapore. India won the match after leading 49-13 at half time.
India, who dominated the `key`, led 26-10 after the first ten minutes and increased the lead to 36 points at the halfway mark.
Singapore showed glimpses of coming back into the game in the third quarter but American Scott Fleming-coached India took total control in the last quarter to round up a comprehensive win in the 7-8 placings game.
India, who lost 60-65 to Jordan in the 5-8 placings game yesterday after being beaten 70-66 by Philippines in the quarter finals, were well-served in the shooting department by Amjyot Singh who contributed 30 points and also came up with 7 rebounds.
Amritpal Singh was the next best with 13 points and 10 rebounds while Visesh Brighuvanshi shone in the play maker`s role with five assists, besides logging 6 points.
Narender Kumar Grewal accounted for 14 points while Yadvender Singh came up with 7 points and as many rebounds.
For Singapore, Wei Jie Oh, with 13 points, was the leading scorer.
The Indian campaign which started with a loss to higher ranked Japan (52-75) gathered pace when they shocked hosts and Asia no.1 China 65-58. They defeated Indonesia 91-55 in their last league game before losing to Philippines in the quarters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey