India swamp Singapore to finish 7th in Asia Cup Basketball
Mumbai: India ended their campaign in the 5th FIBA Asia Cup Basketball at Wuhan, China Sturday by swamping Singapore 85-36 to finish seventh in the tournament.
India, ranked 11th in the continent and 61st in the world, outplayed their South East Asian rivals from the beginning and were totally in control in all four quarters except the third where they experienced some fight from Singapore. India won the match after leading 49-13 at half time.
India, who dominated the `key`, led 26-10 after the first ten minutes and increased the lead to 36 points at the halfway mark.
Singapore showed glimpses of coming back into the game in the third quarter but American Scott Fleming-coached India took total control in the last quarter to round up a comprehensive win in the 7-8 placings game.
India, who lost 60-65 to Jordan in the 5-8 placings game yesterday after being beaten 70-66 by Philippines in the quarter finals, were well-served in the shooting department by Amjyot Singh who contributed 30 points and also came up with 7 rebounds.
Amritpal Singh was the next best with 13 points and 10 rebounds while Visesh Brighuvanshi shone in the play maker`s role with five assists, besides logging 6 points.
Narender Kumar Grewal accounted for 14 points while Yadvender Singh came up with 7 points and as many rebounds.
For Singapore, Wei Jie Oh, with 13 points, was the leading scorer.
The Indian campaign which started with a loss to higher ranked Japan (52-75) gathered pace when they shocked hosts and Asia no.1 China 65-58. They defeated Indonesia 91-55 in their last league game before losing to Philippines in the quarters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan