India swamp Singapore to finish 7th in Asia Cup Basketball
Mumbai: India ended their campaign in the 5th FIBA Asia Cup Basketball at Wuhan, China Sturday by swamping Singapore 85-36 to finish seventh in the tournament.
India, ranked 11th in the continent and 61st in the world, outplayed their South East Asian rivals from the beginning and were totally in control in all four quarters except the third where they experienced some fight from Singapore. India won the match after leading 49-13 at half time.
India, who dominated the `key`, led 26-10 after the first ten minutes and increased the lead to 36 points at the halfway mark.
Singapore showed glimpses of coming back into the game in the third quarter but American Scott Fleming-coached India took total control in the last quarter to round up a comprehensive win in the 7-8 placings game.
India, who lost 60-65 to Jordan in the 5-8 placings game yesterday after being beaten 70-66 by Philippines in the quarter finals, were well-served in the shooting department by Amjyot Singh who contributed 30 points and also came up with 7 rebounds.
Amritpal Singh was the next best with 13 points and 10 rebounds while Visesh Brighuvanshi shone in the play maker`s role with five assists, besides logging 6 points.
Narender Kumar Grewal accounted for 14 points while Yadvender Singh came up with 7 points and as many rebounds.
For Singapore, Wei Jie Oh, with 13 points, was the leading scorer.
The Indian campaign which started with a loss to higher ranked Japan (52-75) gathered pace when they shocked hosts and Asia no.1 China 65-58. They defeated Indonesia 91-55 in their last league game before losing to Philippines in the quarters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you