India to be accorded zonal status by FIDE
Chennai: Looking at India`s domination in chess, especially in the age group category, the country would be granted a separate zonal status in the forthcoming FIDE Congress, World Chess Federation President Kirsan Ilyuzhiminov said today.
"India will be granted a separate zonal status in the forthcoming FIDE Congress which will also consider a three-fold plan for the development of the game," Kirsan, on a visit to India to seek support for his re-election in FIDE, said here.
World champion Anatoly Karpov, backed by Garry Kasparov, is running for the Presidential election against Kirsan, which is slated for first week of October.
1On the three-pronged plan, he said the first step was to make chess a curriculum in schools, the second was to train the local coaches and the next to organise several events to give opportunities for the players to perform.
He recalled that his first step after taking over as the head of the State of Kalmaykia in 1995 was to make chess as a curriculum in schools.
Asked to compare India and Russia in chess, Kirsan said "India is the motherland of chess. Presently, India is doing very well and is better than Russia in the development of the game."
He reasoned out that age group competitions organised by the FIDE was the main reason why India was doing very well.
He lauded the way the game was being administered in India and offered his unstinted support for the development of chess in the cricket-frenzy country.
He said he has received positive signs from International Olympic Committee to include chess into the Olympic fold.
After his meeting with the officials of the All India Chess Federation, Kirsan interacted with top players, including Grandmasters Krishnan Sasikiran, G N Gopal, Arun Prasad, RR Laxman, GM-elect Baskaran Adhiban and Women Grandmasters Vijayalakshmi and Meenakshi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark