India to host Sepaktakraw Super Series from August 29
New Delhi: Indians fans will get to witness some high-flying acrobatic moves of the world`s best Sepaktakraw players when the country hosts the sport`s biggest event, the Super Series, for the first time in the month of August.
The Sepaktakraw Super Series will be held at the Indira Gandhi Sports Complex here from August 29 to September 1.
"The sport is rapidly gaining popularity all over the world. We thank the Sepaktakraw Federation of India for organising the first leg of Super Series here in New Delhi," General Secretary of International Sepaktakraw Federation, Dato Abdul Hamil Kader said.
In the men`s event, 12 nations including Japan, USA and South Korea would be battling it out for supremacy, also known as kick volleyball, while the women`s competition will have eight countries.
Points accumulated in the four different legs of the super series will decide the champion for the year 2013. The Thailand team had won the Super Series last year.
Sepaktakraw, which was first introduced as a demonstration sport in the 1982 Asian Games held in Delhi, has been on the rise in the country and the Indian federation, SFI, conducts the national championships at various levels.
"Our team is currently practising at a camp in Hyderabad. In our last nationals, 27 state teams had participated in the seniors` event. Our players have also done well at the international level," SFI General Secretary, Yogender Singh Dahiya said.
In the King`s Cup International Sepaktakraw tournament held at Bangkok in 2009, India won six medals, including a gold medal.
"There are 45 nations including America, Europe and Africa who are playing Sepaktakraw. We are targetting to first introduce the sport in the Commonwealth Games then think about Olympics," Abdul Kader said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday