India to host World snooker tournament
New Delhi: India will host the World Ranking Snooker tournament here from October 14 to 18 offering a purse of 300,000 pounds with world`s top 64 cueists along with six from the host nation participating, according to a press release from the Billiards and Snooker Federation of India.
The qualifier of this event with 128 teams in fray will be played in England and top 64 cueists would fly to India for this main tournament that is likely to be covered live by "a leading sports channel" from the round of 32.
"We are delighted to be a part of the efforts being made by BSFI to popularize cue sports in India," said Jason Ferguson, Chairman, World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association.
"lndia has produced several top ranking players in the past and has no dearth of talent and therefore a ranking event of this magnitude would only motivate the promising ones," he added.
BSFI president Capt PVK Mohan said: "We are excited to host an event of this scale on annual basis to take the cue sports in India to a new phase. Although snooker is a niche sport, we are confident that event of this nature would create large-scale awareness and take the game to greater height in India."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- India's spectrum proceeds seen way below target at $10-$12 bn: HSBC
- England's Roy Hodgson dismisses report of Wayne Rooney-Jamie Vardy rift
- China, Russia fed up with US hegemony: Chinese daily
- BJP ally Shiv Sena accuses saffron party of spreading falsehood, rumours
- TCS to be levied above Rs 2 lakh only if payment in cash: CBDT