India to meet Malaysia in World Team Squash
New Delhi: India will play Malaysia for the 7th-8th position in the Men`s World Team Squash Championship after losing out to Germany in their classification match in Mulhouse, France.
India lost to Germany in 5th-8th place play-off with Saurav Ghosal and Harinder Pal Sandhu putting up a decent fight in matches that went the full distance.
Eight-time Indian National Champion Ghosal was first up on court against six-time German Champion Simon Rosner. Saurav started off well controlling World no.12 Simon and raced away with the first game on the back of some aggressive play.
Saurav continued with his aggression throughout the match, taking chances, playing the volleys and drops. But, Simon pounced on the slightest mistake from Saurav and racked up the points.
In an intense battle, where both players had chances to win, Simon won the second, while Saurav snatched the third leaving the two to battle it out in the fifth and final game.
Saurav played well but could not stop Simon from getting infront of him, making it incredibly difficult to come up with decisive strokes. Simon packed off Saurav in the fourth and final game to take the first point for Germany.
Harinder was next on court against Raphael Kandra in a match India needed to win to keep their hopes alive. Harinder matched Raphael stroke for stroke and kept pace with the German all the way but Raphael made the better choices when it came to the crunch, pocketing the first two games 11-9 14-12.
Both played well below their best but Harinder showed glimpses of his ability in taking the next two games in emphatic manner, levelling the match at 2-2.
In the deciding game, Harinder and Raphael yielded no quarter and were locked in a fascinating duel of nerves. Raphael had the last laugh winning the fifth game 14-12 and sealing Germany`s progress through 5th-6th place shoot-off against South Africa.
India will play Malaysia after the latter was beaten by South Africa in the second play-off.
 GERMANY bt  INDIA 2/0
Simon Rosner bt Saurav Ghosal 3-11, 11-8, 10-12, 11-8, 11-7 (91m)
Raphael Kandra bt Harinder Pal Sandhu 11-9, 14-12, 5-11, 3-11, 12-10 (84m).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm