India U-16 boys qualify for 3rd FIBA Asia Championship
New Delhi: India`s U-16 boys` basketball team sealed its place in the third FIBA Asia Championship to be held in Iran later this year by finishing their engagements in the South Asian Basketball Association (SABA) qualifiers in Dhaka with an all-win record.
The Indian colts started their campaign by defeating Maldives 95-50, and then followed it up with a 92-22 thrashing of Nepal.
In their last game in the qualifiers, India defeated host Bangladesh 103-59 yesterday to secure their berth in the FIBA Asian Championship to be held in Tehran from September 25 to October 4 this year.
Basketball Federation of India CEO, Roopam Harish Sharma congratulated the players and the team`s support staff on this achievement.
"I congratulate the India U-16 team, coaches Raghavendra Singh Gour and Tirtesh Guha along with the entire support staff for their commendable performance at the South Asian Basketball Association (SABA) Qualifiers," she said.
"It has been an endeavour of the Basketball Federation of India to improve the standards of basketball in the country from the grass root level. The development of young basketball players in India will play a big role in creating the role models of tomorrow and eventually increasing the popularity of the sport in the country."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray