India upset Ireland in World Team Squash C`ship
New Delhi: India caused the first major upset in the WSF Women`s World Team Squash Championship when they beat higher-ranked Ireland in a dramatic tie which went down to the wire in Nimes, France.
The historic World Squash Federation event, boasting a record entry of 26 nations, is the first ever to be staged in France, and the first to feature three all-glass show courts.
India, seeded 10th, had to dig deep to put it across Ireland, the No 7 seeds, 2-1, thus reversing the result of the same Pool G clash two years ago.
India`s numero uno female player Dipika Pallikal paved the way with a four-game victory over experienced Irish champion Madeline Perry, but the squad number two Joshana Chinappa let slip a 2-1 lead to allow Aisling Blake, and Ireland, back into the tie.
But teenager Anaka Alankamony held her nerve to see off Laura Mylotte 12-10, 11-3, 11-7 to give India a sensational victory at La Parnasse Arena.
Pool G: (10) India bt (7) Ireland 2-1
Dipika Pallikal bt Madeline Perry 11-9, 11-8, 7-11, 11-8, Joshana Chinappa lost to Aisling Blake 9-11, 11-7, 11-6, 8-11, 9-11, Anaka Alankamony bt Laura Mylotte 12-10, 11-3, 11-7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video