India will bag more medals in London Olympics than Beijing: IOA
New Delhi: Exuding confidence of a better showing by India in the London Olympics, IOA on Monday said it would provide all possible help to the sportspersons` preparations.
"We are hopeful that our medal tally in this year`s Olympics will better than the 2008 Beijing Olympiad where we had bagged three medals," IOA Acting President Vijay Kumar Malhotra said here.
India is expected to take part in 15 disciplines -- Aquatics, Athletics, Archery, Boxing, Gymnastics, Hockey, Judo, Shooting, Rowing, Sailing, Table Tennis, Tennis, Weightlifting and Wrestling -- subject to qualifications.
He said the IOA`s assessment of more medals this time is based on the performance of sportspersons in various international competitions and Olympic qualifiers.
"IOA is committed to provide all possible help to the sportspersons who have and will qualify for Olympics. There is going to be no lack of funds for them so I hope this time the sportspersons will bring more good news for the countrymen," he said.
Malhotra said the IOA has asked the concerned sports federations to specifically find out the requirements of the athletes who have qualified and are likely to qualify for the London Olympics to provide them top-class coaching and training facilities.
"We will do our best to provide those facilities to the players. Lack of funds or facilities are not going to be excuses anymore," he said.
He said he was hopeful that more shooters, archers and boxers will qualify to fill up the remaining slots.
"It is a very good sign for the Indian sports that now International sporting fraternity is looking at sports persons from our country with respect and awe."
Malhotra said he shares the sentiments of the hockey fans in hoping for the national team`s qualification for London Olympics.
"I fervently hope that our hockey teams (men and women) will make it to London. I was also deeply disappointed when we failed to qualify for Beijing Olympics last time. I hope this time our teams will win the Olympic qualifiers to be held next month here," he said.
So far 25 Indian sportspersons have qualified for London Olympics. They are: Jayant Talukdar, Deepika Kumari, L Bombayala Devi and Chekrovolu Swuro in archery, Virdhawal Khade and Sandeep Sejwal in swimming, Babubhai Panucha, Gurmeet Singh, Vikas Gowda, Om Prakash, Myookha Johny, Tintu Luka and Krishna Poonia in athletics, Devendro Laishram, Jai Bhagwan, Manoj Kumar and Vikas Krishan in boxing, Abhinav Bindra, Ronjon Sodhi, Sanjeev Rajput, Vijay Kumar, Gagan Narang, Hari Om Singh, Rahi Sarnobat and Anuraj Singh in shooting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow