India win a silver in World Youth Weightlifting
New Delhi: Jamjang Deru gave India the first medal in the World Youth Weightlifting Championships as he won a silver in the 50kg boys category on the opening day at Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
Deru won the silver in clean and jerk with an effort of 110 kg and finished fourth in the total lift with 195kg. He lifted 85kg in snatch.
In the same category, Deepak Lather finished 12th in total lift with an effort of 174kg (80+94) last night.
In the girls 44kg category, Chandrika Tarafdar finished seventh in total lift with an effort of 135kg (57+78) while Poonam Dalal was 15th with a total lift of 122kg (53+69).
The World Youth Championships serves as a qualification event for 2014 Youth Olympic Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman