India win a silver in World Youth Weightlifting
New Delhi: Jamjang Deru gave India the first medal in the World Youth Weightlifting Championships as he won a silver in the 50kg boys category on the opening day at Tashkent, Uzbekistan.
Deru won the silver in clean and jerk with an effort of 110 kg and finished fourth in the total lift with 195kg. He lifted 85kg in snatch.
In the same category, Deepak Lather finished 12th in total lift with an effort of 174kg (80+94) last night.
In the girls 44kg category, Chandrika Tarafdar finished seventh in total lift with an effort of 135kg (57+78) while Poonam Dalal was 15th with a total lift of 122kg (53+69).
The World Youth Championships serves as a qualification event for 2014 Youth Olympic Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Mohan Bhagwat's comments on Hindu population are 'outdated': Shiv Sena
- Wow! Google Duo now available in India to make free video calls
- In Goa, Arvind Kejriwal says AAP has no money to fight elections
- Turkish soldier killed in clash with Kurdish militants - security sources
- Amitabh Bachchan set to return as the 'angry man' in 'Sarkar 3'