India win bronze in Archery World Cup
Kolkata: India clinched a bronze medal in the compound men`s team event to open their account in the Archery World Cup Stage 3 being held in Medellin, Colombia.
According to information received here, Rajat Chouhan, Sandeep Kumar and Ratan Singh Khuraijam overcame a stiff resistance from the hosts to win 215-210 en route to the bronze medal on Saturday.
The trio of Deepika Kumari, Laishram Bombayla Devi and Rimil Biruly will aim for a gold in the women`s recurve team summit clash against the top seeded Chinese later on Sunday.
India has another medal chance in the recurve mixed team bronze play-off where Atanu Das and Deepika will fight it out against the Mexicans.
In compound bronze medal play-off held under difficult windy conditions, the Indians were up against the home favourites Juan Carlos Carrasquilla, Camilo Andres Cardona and and Jos? Carlos Ospina as there was a huge crowd cheering for the Colombian trio.
But the Indian threesome began solidly out of the gate to take a 52-50 lead in the first end.
The Colombians made a comeback in the second end with two perfect 10s for a cumulative 54 against Indians` 50 to take the lead 104-102.
Fresh from a mixed silver medal in the last World Cup in Antalya, Rajasthan lad Chouhan inspired the team to four perfect 10s en route to 56 as India snatched the lead 158-156 at the penultimate round.
The Indians did not look back as the trio clinched the issue easily shooting 57 to deny the Colombians their first World Cup medal in the compound men`s category.
The French men`s team won their first gold medal since 2008, while the US women defeated Colombia in a rematch of the Antalya World Cup.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla