India women win bronze in archery World Cup in Shanghai
Kolkata: India won a first-ever archery World Cup medal in the compound women section when Trisha Deb, Gagandeep Kaur and Lily Chanu P beat their Italian opponents in the bronze medal play-off in Shanghai on Saturday.
According to information received here, India avenged last year`s defeat, beating Italy 228-223 to open the account with a bronze medal on the penultimate day of the archery World Cup State 1.
India have two gold medal winning chances tomorrow with Deepika Kumari in the finals of the recurve individual women`s category and in the recurve mixed team along with Jayanta Talukdar.
The Italian team made up of Katia d` Agostino and former Shanghai individual champions Laura Longo (2011) and Marcella Tonioli (2012) trailed the Indians by two points after the first end.
D`Agostino shot a seven in the second end, allowing India to increase their lead to four points at the halfway mark.
A final 8 by India in the third end reduced the gap to three points: 171-168.
Shooting first in the last end, Italy suffered two 8s, while India concluded the match with 8-9-10-10-10-10 for their first ever World Cup medal in the compound women category.
India had gone down to Italy 217-230 in the last year`s playoff.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- Priyanka Chopra spills the beans about Deepika Padukone’s next Hollywood venture!
- Monsoon to reach Delhi by end of June, says Met department
- India likely to test launch new missile today
- Elli Avram looks red HOT in this latest picture!
- Haji Ali Dargah case: Expect a 'pro women' verdict from Bombay HC, says Trupti Desai