Indian archers motivated for more medals in Asian meet
Kolkata: Indian archers are expecting competition as tough as the Olympics but remain confident of notching up a rich haul of medals at the Asian Championships starting form Tuesday in Tehran.
"I am motivated to get a gold both at the team and the individual recurve event. And will be giving 100 per cent in this championship," Deepika Kumari, who won a double gold in the last Commonwealth games in Delhi, said before leaving for Tehran on Monday.
The 17-year-old Deepika, who is a cadet in the Tata Archery Academy in Jamshedpur and has already sealed her berth in the London Olympics along with Bombayla Devi and Chakravelu Swuro said, "I am hopeful of having a rich medal haul by our team this time".
Jayanta Talukdar, another member of the contingent who has also qualified for the London Olympics, said, "this is almost like competing in the Olympics as the world`s top teams like South Korea, China, Chinese Taipei besides Tazikstan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and hosts Iran are there".
"This would be a good preparation to hone our skill before the Olympics," Jayanta, who was a member of the men recurve team that won the silver in world cup archery at Croatia in May last, said.
Rahul Banerjee, another member of the Indian contingent, said, "After our silver medal victory at Croatia, I passed through a little lean phase. I am getting over it. I am attending motivating session under psychologist Vaibhav Agashe which is helping me a lot to regain form. After returning from the Asian meet we will also be training under noted Korean coach Lim Chae Woong".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!