Indian archers motivated for more medals in Asian meet
Kolkata: Indian archers are expecting competition as tough as the Olympics but remain confident of notching up a rich haul of medals at the Asian Championships starting form Tuesday in Tehran.
"I am motivated to get a gold both at the team and the individual recurve event. And will be giving 100 per cent in this championship," Deepika Kumari, who won a double gold in the last Commonwealth games in Delhi, said before leaving for Tehran on Monday.
The 17-year-old Deepika, who is a cadet in the Tata Archery Academy in Jamshedpur and has already sealed her berth in the London Olympics along with Bombayla Devi and Chakravelu Swuro said, "I am hopeful of having a rich medal haul by our team this time".
Jayanta Talukdar, another member of the contingent who has also qualified for the London Olympics, said, "this is almost like competing in the Olympics as the world`s top teams like South Korea, China, Chinese Taipei besides Tazikstan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan and hosts Iran are there".
"This would be a good preparation to hone our skill before the Olympics," Jayanta, who was a member of the men recurve team that won the silver in world cup archery at Croatia in May last, said.
Rahul Banerjee, another member of the Indian contingent, said, "After our silver medal victory at Croatia, I passed through a little lean phase. I am getting over it. I am attending motivating session under psychologist Vaibhav Agashe which is helping me a lot to regain form. After returning from the Asian meet we will also be training under noted Korean coach Lim Chae Woong".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city