Indian archers return home after winning medals in Asian GP
New Delhi: The Indian team today returned home after reaping a rich haul of seven medals, including three golds, in the first Asian Grand Prix Archery Championship in Bangkok.
Indian archers won seven medals, including three golds, three silvers and one bronze in the Championship which was held in Bangkok from March 10th to 15th.
In a simple felicitation function for the team, President of Archery Association of India, Vijay Kumar Malhotra, congratulated the contingent and praised the extraordinary form of Compound Archers as they contributed six medals out of seven won by Indian squad.
"It is for the first in the history of Indian Archery and is a rear distinction too that Abhishek Verma scored 150 points of possible 150 twice in a day," Malhotra said.
"Such medal winning performances are a good sign and will certainly boost up the morale of our Archer to give their best in other big events during the year 2014," he added.
Compound Women team comprising Gagandeep Kaur, V Jyoti Surekha and P Lily Chandu took first gold defeating Iran (219 Vs 204).
Recurve Men trio ?- Jayanta Talukdar, Tarundeep Rai and Kapil -- clinched the gold after defeating Chinese Taipei in the final 6-0.
A combination of Abhishik Verma and V Jyothi Surekha grabbed gold in Mixed team Compound event.
Ace Indian archer, Abhishek was in great form throughout the event but he lost his Individual Compound Final and finished as runner up.
Another Compound Women Archer, Gagandeep Kaur bagged a silver medal for India.
The Compound men team also settled for the silver medal after losing the final match against Iran. The Compound Archers also won a bronze when Sandeep Kumar clinched the medal in an Individual event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price