Indian archers return home after winning medals in Asian GP
New Delhi: The Indian team today returned home after reaping a rich haul of seven medals, including three golds, in the first Asian Grand Prix Archery Championship in Bangkok.
Indian archers won seven medals, including three golds, three silvers and one bronze in the Championship which was held in Bangkok from March 10th to 15th.
In a simple felicitation function for the team, President of Archery Association of India, Vijay Kumar Malhotra, congratulated the contingent and praised the extraordinary form of Compound Archers as they contributed six medals out of seven won by Indian squad.
"It is for the first in the history of Indian Archery and is a rear distinction too that Abhishek Verma scored 150 points of possible 150 twice in a day," Malhotra said.
"Such medal winning performances are a good sign and will certainly boost up the morale of our Archer to give their best in other big events during the year 2014," he added.
Compound Women team comprising Gagandeep Kaur, V Jyoti Surekha and P Lily Chandu took first gold defeating Iran (219 Vs 204).
Recurve Men trio ?- Jayanta Talukdar, Tarundeep Rai and Kapil -- clinched the gold after defeating Chinese Taipei in the final 6-0.
A combination of Abhishik Verma and V Jyothi Surekha grabbed gold in Mixed team Compound event.
Ace Indian archer, Abhishek was in great form throughout the event but he lost his Individual Compound Final and finished as runner up.
Another Compound Women Archer, Gagandeep Kaur bagged a silver medal for India.
The Compound men team also settled for the silver medal after losing the final match against Iran. The Compound Archers also won a bronze when Sandeep Kumar clinched the medal in an Individual event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah Part II
- Uttarakhand: MBBS students builds toilets in a village in Rishikesh
- Digital detox helps to get rid of smartphones addiction
- Watch: Syrian boys crying, hugging each other after their brother is killed in airstrike
- More than 8 lakh people affected by flood in UP
- Virender Sehwag fulfills Sakshi Malik's desire to meet him; this tweet tells how GLAD he is
- Asked to remove pugree at US embassy, BJP MP refuses to take visa
- Pink Ball Test: Jury still out on sighting, no reverse swing for pacers or turn for spinners
- RCom-Aircel expected to sign merger deal by Sept 1st week