Awadhe Warriors post maiden victory in IBL
Pune: Awadhe Warriors, spearheaded by P V Sindhu, brought down Krrish Delhi Smashers in impressive style with a comprehensive 4-1 victory in the Indian Badminton League here.
Warriors, who are lying at the bottom of the table with eight points, posted their first victory of the tournament here last night.
It was K Srikanth who set the rhythm for the Warriors with his strategic and quick win, while Sindhu followed it up with another easy victory before the Smashers brought their team back on track by clinching the men`s doubles match.
But R M V Gurusaidutt made sure that the Awadhe Warriors sail home without much trouble and finally the mixed doubles pair of Markis Kido and Pia Z Bernadet won their match.
Thailand Grand Prix Gold winner, Srikanth started the proceedings for the Warriors and the Andhra Pradesh lad rode on his powerful smashes and better placements to tame B Sai Praneeth 21-14 21-9 in the first men`s singles match to give Awadhe a 1-0 lead over Delhi at the Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex at Balewadi here.
Srikanth started the opening game on a positive note and led 7-4 at the first break, before wrapping up the game comfortably in the end.
Srikanth, who was leading 19-9 in the second game that he won easily, said he was prepared for the clash.
"I was hoping to play against Sai or Daren and therefore was prepared. We both train at Gopichand Academy together which helped me know his moves. I just concentrated on that and won," Srikanth, who bagged the Vodafone Player award, said.
World Championship bronze medallist, Sindhu then prevailed over Arundhati Pantawane 21-16 21-17 in the women`s singles to guide Awadhe to a 2-0 lead.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!