Banga Beats bank on Carolina to overwhelm Pune Pistons
Bangalore: Banga Beats chief coach Vimal Kumar is banking on Spain`s Carolina Marin to win the women`s singles and mixed doubles against Pune Pistons in Pune on Friday to keep the team in the hunt for a semifinal berth in the inaugural Indian Badminton League.
"We are banking on Carolina to pull off the match in women`s singles and mixed doubles against Pune Pistons. The Spanish girl has beaten Juliane twice in the past and has been impressive in playing good mixed doubles," Vimal told reporters here.
Banga Beats take on Pune Pistons on August 23 at Shree Shiv Chhattrapati Sports Complex in Balewadi, Pune. While Pune have nine points in three ties, Banga Beats have seven points in two ties.
The former national coach also said his team needs to seize the initiative of seeing off the struggling Nguyen Tien Minh.
"The Vietnamese player has had a patchy tournament so far. He is the main guy for us," he said.
Banga Beats also has a slight advantage in the men`s doubles fixture against Pune Pistons as Denmark`s Carsten Mogensen`s experience in company with Akshay Dewalkar would make a difference in the match against Sanave Thomas and K T Rupesh Kumar, Vimal said.
"We need to win one men`s singles, a mixed doubles and men`s doubles event. If we can do that, we can then say we are little more better placed for the semifinals," he added.
On Banga Beats tie against Delhi, Vimal said even though they have lost two ties so far, it will not be easy to beat them as Sai Praneeth and Malaysia`s Tan Boon Heong can turn things around.
"I am clear about our strategies against each opposition player, but only thing the players have to execute them in the court," he added.
Vimal said the next two ties against Pune Pistons and Krrish Delhi Smashers are important as these matches would give clear indication of Banga Beats chances in semifinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- PM Modi's 10th edition of 'Mann Ki Baat': As it happened
- Anna Hazare extends support to ex-servicemen over OROP protests
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday