Banga Beats bank on Carolina to overwhelm Pune Pistons
Bangalore: Banga Beats chief coach Vimal Kumar is banking on Spain`s Carolina Marin to win the women`s singles and mixed doubles against Pune Pistons in Pune on Friday to keep the team in the hunt for a semifinal berth in the inaugural Indian Badminton League.
"We are banking on Carolina to pull off the match in women`s singles and mixed doubles against Pune Pistons. The Spanish girl has beaten Juliane twice in the past and has been impressive in playing good mixed doubles," Vimal told reporters here.
Banga Beats take on Pune Pistons on August 23 at Shree Shiv Chhattrapati Sports Complex in Balewadi, Pune. While Pune have nine points in three ties, Banga Beats have seven points in two ties.
The former national coach also said his team needs to seize the initiative of seeing off the struggling Nguyen Tien Minh.
"The Vietnamese player has had a patchy tournament so far. He is the main guy for us," he said.
Banga Beats also has a slight advantage in the men`s doubles fixture against Pune Pistons as Denmark`s Carsten Mogensen`s experience in company with Akshay Dewalkar would make a difference in the match against Sanave Thomas and K T Rupesh Kumar, Vimal said.
"We need to win one men`s singles, a mixed doubles and men`s doubles event. If we can do that, we can then say we are little more better placed for the semifinals," he added.
On Banga Beats tie against Delhi, Vimal said even though they have lost two ties so far, it will not be easy to beat them as Sai Praneeth and Malaysia`s Tan Boon Heong can turn things around.
"I am clear about our strategies against each opposition player, but only thing the players have to execute them in the court," he added.
Vimal said the next two ties against Pune Pistons and Krrish Delhi Smashers are important as these matches would give clear indication of Banga Beats chances in semifinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional