IBL: Ponnappa- Nielsen defeat Gutta- Kien 19-21, 21-16, 11-3
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In what was a major upset in the inaugural Indian Badminton League (IBL), Pune Pistons’ JF Nielsen and Ashwini Ponnappa defeated Delhi Smashers’ Koo Kien and Jwala Gutta 19-21, 21-16 and 11-3.
Nielsen-Ponnappa started the match on a confident note and won the first set 21-19 after a bit of struggle. Kien-Gutta were up for the second set and they showed some great display and bounced back to win it 21-16.
But in the decider, Ponnappa and her partner cruised to victory within no time and stunned their opponents with some aggressive play, and won it 11-3.
Earlier, the much-awaited tournament kicked off with a glittering opening ceremony even as Krrish Delhi Smashers clashed with the Pune Pistons in the tournament opener.
It was a colourful show of laser lights, acrobatics, Bollywood songs and dance as the half-an-hour opening ceremony started the proceedings at the Siri Fort Sports complex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal