IBL: Ponnappa- Nielsen defeat Gutta- Kien 19-21, 21-16, 11-3
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In what was a major upset in the inaugural Indian Badminton League (IBL), Pune Pistons’ JF Nielsen and Ashwini Ponnappa defeated Delhi Smashers’ Koo Kien and Jwala Gutta 19-21, 21-16 and 11-3.
Nielsen-Ponnappa started the match on a confident note and won the first set 21-19 after a bit of struggle. Kien-Gutta were up for the second set and they showed some great display and bounced back to win it 21-16.
But in the decider, Ponnappa and her partner cruised to victory within no time and stunned their opponents with some aggressive play, and won it 11-3.
Earlier, the much-awaited tournament kicked off with a glittering opening ceremony even as Krrish Delhi Smashers clashed with the Pune Pistons in the tournament opener.
It was a colourful show of laser lights, acrobatics, Bollywood songs and dance as the half-an-hour opening ceremony started the proceedings at the Siri Fort Sports complex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP wins big, grabs 81 BMC seats; Fadnavis credits PM Narendra Modi
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway