IBL: Ponnappa- Nielsen defeat Gutta- Kien 19-21, 21-16, 11-3
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In what was a major upset in the inaugural Indian Badminton League (IBL), Pune Pistons’ JF Nielsen and Ashwini Ponnappa defeated Delhi Smashers’ Koo Kien and Jwala Gutta 19-21, 21-16 and 11-3.
Nielsen-Ponnappa started the match on a confident note and won the first set 21-19 after a bit of struggle. Kien-Gutta were up for the second set and they showed some great display and bounced back to win it 21-16.
But in the decider, Ponnappa and her partner cruised to victory within no time and stunned their opponents with some aggressive play, and won it 11-3.
Earlier, the much-awaited tournament kicked off with a glittering opening ceremony even as Krrish Delhi Smashers clashed with the Pune Pistons in the tournament opener.
It was a colourful show of laser lights, acrobatics, Bollywood songs and dance as the half-an-hour opening ceremony started the proceedings at the Siri Fort Sports complex.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Puducherry: Narayanasamy to meet Lt Gov Kiran Bedi today, stake claim to form govt
- Armed squad kills 11 people in Venezuela: Official
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site