IBL: Ponnappa- Nielsen defeat Gutta- Kien 19-21, 21-16, 11-3
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In what was a major upset in the inaugural Indian Badminton League (IBL), Pune Pistons’ JF Nielsen and Ashwini Ponnappa defeated Delhi Smashers’ Koo Kien and Jwala Gutta 19-21, 21-16 and 11-3.
Nielsen-Ponnappa started the match on a confident note and won the first set 21-19 after a bit of struggle. Kien-Gutta were up for the second set and they showed some great display and bounced back to win it 21-16.
But in the decider, Ponnappa and her partner cruised to victory within no time and stunned their opponents with some aggressive play, and won it 11-3.
Earlier, the much-awaited tournament kicked off with a glittering opening ceremony even as Krrish Delhi Smashers clashed with the Pune Pistons in the tournament opener.
It was a colourful show of laser lights, acrobatics, Bollywood songs and dance as the half-an-hour opening ceremony started the proceedings at the Siri Fort Sports complex.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive