Indian Badminton League is a great thing to happen: Srikanth
Mumbai: The disappointment of finishing as runners-up notwithstanding, Awadhe Warriors` shuttler K Srikanth said he goes home a richer player from the inaugural Indian Badminton League after getting some valuable lessons of the game from seasoned international stars.
"IBL is a great thing to happen. Badminton has been on the rise. You learn a lot when you have senior players in your team. My team I have (Mathias) Boe and (Markis) Kido, so there is lot to learn from them. The way to start and end, the way to behave yourself on court, mental strength," Srikanth told reporters on Saturday night.
The Warriors finished as the runners-up in the inaugural edition of the IBL and Srikanth, who had provided his team with 1-0 lead, said Lucknow was banking on the men`s doubles game and the second men`s single match, which didn`t work out to their plan.
"Actually we thought we could get the doubles, so that was the first drawback for us. Then Guru`s match with Ajay, those two matches were crucial for us. It was some kind of focus (issue) in the second game. He (R M V Gurusaidutt) was actually leading 17-14 in the second," he said.
Gurusaidutt looked poised to win his match by winning the first game comfortably and leading in the second game before Ajay Jayaram`s remarkable turnaround. Jayaram, ranked 24th in the world, beat 20th ranked Guru 10-21, 21-17, 11-7 in 52 minutes.
The Warriors men`s double pair of Boe and Kido lost to the Malaysian men`s doubles team of Goh Shem and Wah Lim Khim 14-21, 21-13, 4-11.
The world number 38 Srikanth shocked his Thai rival Tanongsak (Saensomboonsuk), ranked 19 places above him in the world, with a 21-12, 21-20 victory and said he wanted to provide his team with a good start.
"Throughout the tournament I had been performing well, so I just wanted my team to a get good start and got it," he said.
On his net game, the 20-year-old said, "He was a bit stronger than me at the nets I guess. I just wanted to attack him from the backhand side."
The Guntur-born player said winning the Thailand Open in June helped him gain confidence.
"It gave me a lot of confidence. It improved my mental strength and I gained a lot from that," said Srikanth.
He further said he will be participating in the Japan Super Series next.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon