Lee Chong Wei to miss first IBL tie
New Delhi: World No.1 and Mumbai Masters’ icon player Lee Chong Wei has again delayed his travel plans and will miss his first Indian Badminton League (IBL) tie against the Banga Beats here on Thursday.
The Malaysian, who skipped the opening ceremony of the IBL here on Wednesday, was expected to arrive in time Friday for his team`s maiden outing.
But he has again postponed his travel plans and will be arriving only late at night.
The World No.1 had retired from the World Championships men`s singles final Sunday with cramps against Chinese legend Lin Dan in Guangzhou and is not expected to be in top physical. He has a heavily strapped ankle.
“Lee Chong Wei will arrive in India on Friday night. He was supposed to come on Wednesday but had to delay his travel plans. He has a bandaged ankle but should be able to recover in time to play the tournament,” Ashish Chadha, chief executive of IBL’s commercial partner Sporty Solutionz, told the media on Thursday.
The Malaysian ace will join his team in Lucknow for their clash against the Pune Pistons on Saturday.
Lee Chong Wei was bought by the Masters for a whopping $135,000 at the players’ auction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city