Lee Chong Wei to miss first IBL tie
New Delhi: World No.1 and Mumbai Masters’ icon player Lee Chong Wei has again delayed his travel plans and will miss his first Indian Badminton League (IBL) tie against the Banga Beats here on Thursday.
The Malaysian, who skipped the opening ceremony of the IBL here on Wednesday, was expected to arrive in time Friday for his team`s maiden outing.
But he has again postponed his travel plans and will be arriving only late at night.
The World No.1 had retired from the World Championships men`s singles final Sunday with cramps against Chinese legend Lin Dan in Guangzhou and is not expected to be in top physical. He has a heavily strapped ankle.
“Lee Chong Wei will arrive in India on Friday night. He was supposed to come on Wednesday but had to delay his travel plans. He has a bandaged ankle but should be able to recover in time to play the tournament,” Ashish Chadha, chief executive of IBL’s commercial partner Sporty Solutionz, told the media on Thursday.
The Malaysian ace will join his team in Lucknow for their clash against the Pune Pistons on Saturday.
Lee Chong Wei was bought by the Masters for a whopping $135,000 at the players’ auction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- PM Modi's Buddha mantra for peace at Global Hindu Buddhist Conclave
- Govt extended last date for e-filing of I-T return to Sept 7
- DNA: Bharat Bandh hits normal life; Bengal, Kerala among most affected
- Do condom ads encourage rape?
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone
- BJP-RSS review meet, Day 2: NDA's education policy, Patel quota stir on agenda