Lee Chong Wei to miss first IBL tie
New Delhi: World No.1 and Mumbai Masters’ icon player Lee Chong Wei has again delayed his travel plans and will miss his first Indian Badminton League (IBL) tie against the Banga Beats here on Thursday.
The Malaysian, who skipped the opening ceremony of the IBL here on Wednesday, was expected to arrive in time Friday for his team`s maiden outing.
But he has again postponed his travel plans and will be arriving only late at night.
The World No.1 had retired from the World Championships men`s singles final Sunday with cramps against Chinese legend Lin Dan in Guangzhou and is not expected to be in top physical. He has a heavily strapped ankle.
“Lee Chong Wei will arrive in India on Friday night. He was supposed to come on Wednesday but had to delay his travel plans. He has a bandaged ankle but should be able to recover in time to play the tournament,” Ashish Chadha, chief executive of IBL’s commercial partner Sporty Solutionz, told the media on Thursday.
The Malaysian ace will join his team in Lucknow for their clash against the Pune Pistons on Saturday.
Lee Chong Wei was bought by the Masters for a whopping $135,000 at the players’ auction.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price