We`ve to manage time to avoid burnout during IBL: Saina Nehwal
Bangalore: Considering the grand success of the inaugural IBL that has put a halo around Indian badminton, ace shuttler Saina Nehwal says the franchise-based meet should be held in such a way from next year onward that players don`t miss out on any other major tournament due to burnout.
"Playing in a long tournament like the Indian Badminton League, players of course will get a little tired. We need to manage time or whatever, but this will happen slowly.
"From next year of course myself and IBL organisers will find a way so that we don`t get tired and are able to play in all tournaments," Saina told reporters after the launch of Yonex-Sunrise Store here on Saturday.
What followed the much-hyped Indian Badminton League, held from August 14 to 31, was pull-outs by quite a few players, including Saina, from world-level tournaments due to exhaustion.
The shuttle queen from Hyderabad is skipping the upcoming China Masters and Japan Open Super Series in order to regain her energy before the European circuit.
She, though, will compete in the Denmark Open, according to national coach Pullela Gopichand.
Few other shuttlers who had competed in the IBL also pulled of the Japan open, besides missing the Chinese Taipei Grand Prix Gold.
Saina said it was important for shuttlers to play in the IBL to make badminton popular in India.
"In fact we have been playing in many tournaments, but we weren`t noticed as it was done during the IBL. People know many shuttlers because of IBL. This will only help badminton grow in India," Saina, who guided Hyderabad Hotshots to inaugural title, said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM