Indian Badminton League to be launched on November 10
Mumbai: The much-talked about Indian Badminton League (IBL), that is being promised as the vehicle to bring in big money to the nation`s shuttlers, will be launched here on November 10 in presence of London Olympics bronze medallist Saina Nehwal.
The launch would be done at a Bandra hotel in the presence of Saina, national coach P Gopichand, other Indian badminton team members and Badminton Association of India (BAI) president Dr Akhilesh Das Gupta, it was learnt.
The League, that is to involve city-based franchise teams similar to cricket`s cash-rich Indian Premier League, vouches a total of USD 1 million as the prize money on offer, the "highest prize money in badminton anywhere in the world," according to information put up on Sporty Solutionz Pvt Ltd`s website -- the commercial partner of the BAI.
A quarter-finalist in the event, featuring both Indian and foreign players, would be richer by anywhere between Rs 2.5 to 3 lakh, as per the website.
The IBL`s governing council, chaired by Dr Gupta, also includes Gopi and former internationals Pradeep Gandhe and Vimal Kumar as its members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor