Indian boxers off to good start at Youth World C`ships
New Delhi: The Indian boxers were off to a flier in the World Youth Championships with Shyam Kakara (49kg) pummelling UAE`s Abdulla Almulla in his opening bout in Sofia, Bulgaria.
Kakara won the bout via Technical Knock Out (TKO) within the first two rounds. Technical knockout was a result of Almulla being declared unfit to continue the bout after coming in for severe thrashing from the Indian pugilist.
Kakara will now be up against Sri Lanka`s Ishanka Withrana, who got a first-round bye. Earlier, Asian silver-medallists Gaurav Solanki (52kg) and Neel Kamal Singh (75kg) were among the fours Indians who were handed first-round byes in the tournament, which would double up as a qualifying event for the Youth Olympics, slated from August 16 to 28 in Nanjing, China.
Manjeet (69kg) and Manju Bombariya (75kg) are the other Indian boxers to get a bye in the tournament, which combines the men`s and women`s competition for the first time.
The youngsters, all in the age bracket of 17 and 18, will have to reach at least the semi-finals of the world event to make the cut for the Youth Olympics. The Indians would be competing under the International Boxing Association (AIBA) flag due to the termination of the Indian Boxing Federation following its failure to comply with the world body`s directives on holding elections.
India had won a couple of silver medals and a bronze in the previous edition in Yerevan, Armenia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- Kareena Kapoor Khan opens up on her pregnancy, says she is proud of it!
- PHOTO (Inside): Not for the faint-hearted! Saina Nehwal shares image of her knee's broken bone
- 'Domestic airfares to decline at lower rate in Q2'
- US, Ukraine to conduct observation flights over Russia
- 25-year-old woman gang-raped, two arrested