Indian boxers off to good start at Youth World C`ships
New Delhi: The Indian boxers were off to a flier in the World Youth Championships with Shyam Kakara (49kg) pummelling UAE`s Abdulla Almulla in his opening bout in Sofia, Bulgaria.
Kakara won the bout via Technical Knock Out (TKO) within the first two rounds. Technical knockout was a result of Almulla being declared unfit to continue the bout after coming in for severe thrashing from the Indian pugilist.
Kakara will now be up against Sri Lanka`s Ishanka Withrana, who got a first-round bye. Earlier, Asian silver-medallists Gaurav Solanki (52kg) and Neel Kamal Singh (75kg) were among the fours Indians who were handed first-round byes in the tournament, which would double up as a qualifying event for the Youth Olympics, slated from August 16 to 28 in Nanjing, China.
Manjeet (69kg) and Manju Bombariya (75kg) are the other Indian boxers to get a bye in the tournament, which combines the men`s and women`s competition for the first time.
The youngsters, all in the age bracket of 17 and 18, will have to reach at least the semi-finals of the world event to make the cut for the Youth Olympics. The Indians would be competing under the International Boxing Association (AIBA) flag due to the termination of the Indian Boxing Federation following its failure to comply with the world body`s directives on holding elections.
India had won a couple of silver medals and a bronze in the previous edition in Yerevan, Armenia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- UPSC Results 2014: Meet top three toppers