Indian boxers settle for bronze at Asian Youth Championship
New Delhi: Four Indian pugilists had to be contended with bronze medals after suffering defeats in the penultimate round of the ASBC Asian Confederation Youth Boxing Championship in Subic Bay, Philippines.
Narender Berwal (+91kg), Lalitha Prasad (49kg), Abhishek Beniwal (81kg) and Amritpreet Singh (91kg) ended their campaign at the semi-final stage after losing out to their respective opponents.
The Indian pugilists did well to qualify for the round of four, and in the semi-finals as well they put up a stunning challenge making things difficult for their opponents.
2012 Youth World Championships silver medallist, Berwal defeated Kazak boxer Dastan Kurmanbetov in an exciting comeback to make his place in the penultimate round.
Up against Ulugbek Mubinov -- the national title holder from Uzbekistan Elite Men`s Boxing Championships, the 18-year-old Berwal from Haryana did well and kept close on heels of the Uzbek boxer.
He used his height to good advantage and kept scoring on counters. But Mubinov, with his superior in-fighting maintained the lead and did not let Narender settle down; the Indian lost on points 8-11.
Aglorav Cup bronze medallist, Abhishek and heavy weight boxer Amritpreet too displayed great skills and came agonisingly close to making a bid for the gold medal in their respective weight division. But the two 18-year-old boxers ended up on the losing side in the end.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM