Indian boxers upset as IABF faces ban over ‘manipulation of election’
Visakhapatnam: Indian pugilists are upset over International Boxing Association`s (AIBA) decision to suspend the country`s boxing federation over “possible manipulation” of its elections, in the wake of a wider Olympic ban that has left sports in India reeling.
On Friday (December 07), the Indian Amateur Boxing Federation (IABF) was suspended by the International Boxing Association (AIBA) for "possible manipulation" of its elections, in the wake of a wider Olympic ban that has left sports in the Asian country reeling.
The IABF amended its constitution ahead of its September election to create the chairman`s post to accommodate Abhay Singh Chautala at the end of his 12-year reign as the federation president.
That paved the way for his unopposed election as president of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) on Wednesday (December 05), a day after the IOC banned the body for allowing government interference in its poll.
Speaking to reporters in Visakhapatnam city of India`s southern Andhra Pradesh state, Sung Chetrenla, Woman Coach Nagaland and National Boxing Camp, said that the news has come as a shock for the boxers.
"The news that we heard today about the AIBA (International Boxing Association) suspending the Indian Boxing Federation from its federation it is a very shocking news for every one, not only coaches, not only the federations of Indian boxing but also the junior, senior and sub-junior campers," she said.
Even though the AIBA suspension is a direct fallout of the Olympic ban, the Indian boxing federation`s September election is now under investigation.
Disksha, an amateur boxer said that the suspension will affect their career as they will not be able to play international matches.
"We have been training from such a long time and we were supposed to go for an international boxing tour but now we will not be able to go. Our whole career depends on boxing as we have been practicing since 10 years, if IBA withdraws its decision, then we will win several international medals," she said.
Indian boxer and Olympic bronze medallist, M.C. Mary Kom who won accolades for India in the London Olympics 2012 said the ban is demoralising for the sporting fraternity.
The AIBA ban is a massive blow to Indian boxing, whose fighters were making regular podium finishes in international events.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in