Indian boxing entering a new era: Mary Kom
Pune: Five-time world champion MC Mary Kom said that boxing as a sport in India was at the threshold of a new era with the success of Venky`s Mumbai Fighters in the ongoing World Series Boxing.
The Indian franchise`s impressive show has further enhanced the country`s rise on boxing`s global map, she said.
"Indian boxing has been on a high for last few years. With positive results and developments like these (Indian franchise at World Series of Boxing), the sport`s profile has received a tremendous boost," Mary Kom said.
"For the first time, India witnessed boxing as a complete package, thanks to Mumbai Fighters` presence at WSB, Indian Boxing Federation and Sports Authority of India. It not only promotes Indian boxers but also brings in global talent and the exchange of ideas can only better the future of the sport here. Indian boxing has entered a new era," she said.
The Manipuri `Supermom` has been training at Venky`s Mumbai Fighters` facilities in the Shiv Chhatrapati Sports Complex in Balewadi here for a week now with focus on London Olympics.
Speaking about the facilities at Balewadi, she said, "This is one of its kind complex and is much required for the holistic development of sports in India. This is an ideal
place for grooming sporting talent in India. I hope that we see this kind of complexes in many more cities."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Bajirao Mastani' still galloping at box office, mints Rs 350 cr!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- Divyansh Kakrora's death: Probe nails Ryan International School for glaring lapses; father alleges child was sodomised before murder
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step