Indian challenge ends in World Billiards
Leesd: It was a case of so near yet so far as the two veteran Indian cueists, Alok Kumar and Ashok Shandilya, fell just before the last hurdle in the World Billiards Championship, here.
Curtains came down on Indian campaign with Alok and Shandilya losing their respective semi-final matches in the `Long up` format last night at the Northern Snooker Centre.
After winning the World Championship 150-up format last week, England`s David Causier overcame a weighty challenge from Shandilya 1250-710 in the first semi-final, while Peter Gilchrist knocked out Alok 1250-916 in the another last-four match.
In 1250-Up format semi-final, Alok maintained a lead of more than 100 points till 900 mark figure but after that Gilchrist showed his class by producing three consecutive breaks of 112, 265 and unfinished 135 to register a 334 points win over the Indian.
In the other semi-final, Causier produced showers of breaks and maintained a substantial lead throughout the match. Whenever Shandilya tried to narrow down the lead, Causier stood up and produced another break to keep pushing his opponent down.
Lastly, Shandilya went down to Causier by a difference of 440 points.
Earlier, Point Format finalist Alok had defeated Nalin Patel of England 1000-490, while Shandilya got the better of compatriot Sourav Kothari 1000-989 in their respective quarter-finals.
From the traditional time format, this year`s championship saw the introduction of `Long up` format with 400 points for the league stages, 500 for round of 32, 750 for last 16 and 1000 for the quarters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Gujarat Board Results 2015: Gujarat Board HSC class 12th science results to be declared today at 9 AM on gseb.org
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!