Indian cueists bag two medals
Incheon (Korea): India lost to China 2-3 in the men`s snooker team final for the silver medal while Chitra Magimairaj won the bronze in the women`s six-red snooker singles at the Asian Indoor Games here Monday.
Magimairaj, after overcoming Shi Chunxia of China 4-3 in the quarter-finals that lasted four hours, went down rather tamely to Ng On Yee of Hong Kong 1-4 in the semis that was played after just 10 minutes, to annex the bronze medal.
In the final, Uamduang Amornrat of Thailand, who earlier had defeated Hong Kong`s Ip Wan In Jaique 4-1, beat Ng On Yee 4-3to annex the gold medal.
India started the team final on the wrong foot as Brijesh Damani and Aditya Mehta lost their respective singles matches to Ding Junhui and Liang Wenbo as China took a 2-0 lead. However, the two Indians paired up to beat Liang and Ding 68-36 in the doubles tie.
India then drew level as Mehta defeated Liang 70-15 in the first reverse singles, but Ding clinched the issue for China by overcoming Damani 58-30 in the deciding second reverse singles.
Earlier, India had beaten Korea 3-2 in the pre-quarter-finals and then edged past Iran 3-2 and Chinese Taipei 3-1 to enter the gold medal round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?