Indian cueists bag two medals
Incheon (Korea): India lost to China 2-3 in the men`s snooker team final for the silver medal while Chitra Magimairaj won the bronze in the women`s six-red snooker singles at the Asian Indoor Games here Monday.
Magimairaj, after overcoming Shi Chunxia of China 4-3 in the quarter-finals that lasted four hours, went down rather tamely to Ng On Yee of Hong Kong 1-4 in the semis that was played after just 10 minutes, to annex the bronze medal.
In the final, Uamduang Amornrat of Thailand, who earlier had defeated Hong Kong`s Ip Wan In Jaique 4-1, beat Ng On Yee 4-3to annex the gold medal.
India started the team final on the wrong foot as Brijesh Damani and Aditya Mehta lost their respective singles matches to Ding Junhui and Liang Wenbo as China took a 2-0 lead. However, the two Indians paired up to beat Liang and Ding 68-36 in the doubles tie.
India then drew level as Mehta defeated Liang 70-15 in the first reverse singles, but Ding clinched the issue for China by overcoming Damani 58-30 in the deciding second reverse singles.
Earlier, India had beaten Korea 3-2 in the pre-quarter-finals and then edged past Iran 3-2 and Chinese Taipei 3-1 to enter the gold medal round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren