Indian eves lose 1-2 to Japan, suffer first defeat in ACT
New Delhi: India conceded a late goal to lose 1-2 to hosts Japan and slump to their first defeat in the women`s competition of the Asian Champions Trophy at Kakamigahara, Japan on Thursday.
India, who were unbeaten in the tournament ahead of today`s game, took the lead in the 33rd minute against the run of play through Chanchan Devi`s goal from their first penalty corner.
The Japanese girls, who trailed 0-1 at halftime, created numerous chances in the opening half including three penalty corners but the defence stood tall to deny the hosts.
After the change of ends, India continued to play the second fiddle as Japan pressed hard for the equaliser. But the Indian defence continued their fine work and managed to hold on to Japanese till the last 11 minutes of the game.
Japan`s persistent efforts finally paid dividend when Arai Mazuki scored a field goal in the 59th minute to drew parity in the match.
With just two minutes to go for then hooter, the Indian defence once again wilted under pressure when Otsuka Shiho scored the winner by converting a penalty corner.
India, who had earlier stunned China 4-2 before thrashing Malaysia 5-1, had finished the league proceedings at the second spot behind Japan.
Both India and Japan will now face each other in the summit clash of the women`s event on Saturday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's attrocities on Gilgit-Baltistan to Mehbooba's hard hitting attitude on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Arunachal Pradesh gets 2000 km strategic road for development
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Belgian Grand Prix: Lewis Hamilton ready for slog from back of the field
- Traditional Indian diet dramatically cuts Alzheimer's risk
- Carnage in Florida: KL Rahul, Evin Lewis tons laid foundation for West Indies-India T20I run mountain
- Over 34,500 criminals sentenced in 1 year in UP: DGP(Prosecution)
- Venezuela sends opposition leader back to jail, expels Ecuadoran lawmakers