Indian girls blank South Africa
Wroclaw (Poland): Indian girls, seeded sixth, blanked South Africa 3-0 in their first match in Group C of the World Junior Women`s Team Squash Championships here.
Sachika Ingale, who finished highest amongst Indians in the individual championships, defeated Makgosi Peloakgosi 11-2, 11-5, 5-11, 11-9, in the first singles on Monday.
Harshit Kaur Jawanda overcame Megan Page 11-8, 12-10, 5-11, 11-6, in the next match and Lakshya Ragavendran defeated Kacey-Leigh Dodd 12-14, 11-6, 11-4, 11-4, for a 3-0 verdict.
Ingale got off to a great start, dropping just seven points in the first two games and looked on course for an easy 3-0 win. However, Ingale twisted her knee in the third and took a three-minute medical time out. The Indian was distracted on her return and lost the third 5-11.
Though Ingale was not her fluent self in the fourth game, she managed to work her opponent around to win the game 11-9 and put India 1-0 ahead.
In the battle of the spearheads, Jawanda let the nerves get the better of her and did not play to her potential. Page took full advantage to run Jawanda close, threatening to take the second game.
The Indian clung on to win the second but lost the third before recovering in time to win the fourth and give India the tie.
In the inconsequential final match, Raghavendran started aggressively but found the tin or hit the centre of the court to allow Dodd easy points. The Indian realised her folly, reined in the aggression and played a controlled game to win the next three games and seal a 3-0 win for the Indians.
India will play third seeds England in their second tie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Desperate times, desperate measures! Parineeti Chopra's make-up ain’t gonna stop – See pic
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When Shikhar Dhawan, Yuvraj Singh became Gabbar and taxi driver
- First Talgo train trial on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route on May 29
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis
- Uttarakhand Board Class 12th Examination Results 2016: (uaresults.nic.in) Uttarakhand Board (UK) Class 12th Results 2016, Uttarakhand Class 12 Results 2016 to be declared today