Indian girls blank South Africa
Wroclaw (Poland): Indian girls, seeded sixth, blanked South Africa 3-0 in their first match in Group C of the World Junior Women`s Team Squash Championships here.
Sachika Ingale, who finished highest amongst Indians in the individual championships, defeated Makgosi Peloakgosi 11-2, 11-5, 5-11, 11-9, in the first singles on Monday.
Harshit Kaur Jawanda overcame Megan Page 11-8, 12-10, 5-11, 11-6, in the next match and Lakshya Ragavendran defeated Kacey-Leigh Dodd 12-14, 11-6, 11-4, 11-4, for a 3-0 verdict.
Ingale got off to a great start, dropping just seven points in the first two games and looked on course for an easy 3-0 win. However, Ingale twisted her knee in the third and took a three-minute medical time out. The Indian was distracted on her return and lost the third 5-11.
Though Ingale was not her fluent self in the fourth game, she managed to work her opponent around to win the game 11-9 and put India 1-0 ahead.
In the battle of the spearheads, Jawanda let the nerves get the better of her and did not play to her potential. Page took full advantage to run Jawanda close, threatening to take the second game.
The Indian clung on to win the second but lost the third before recovering in time to win the fourth and give India the tie.
In the inconsequential final match, Raghavendran started aggressively but found the tin or hit the centre of the court to allow Dodd easy points. The Indian realised her folly, reined in the aggression and played a controlled game to win the next three games and seal a 3-0 win for the Indians.
India will play third seeds England in their second tie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof