Indian girls win gold in Slovak Junior Open TT
New Delhi: Sutirtha Mukherjee led Indian girls to a gold medal finish while the boys had to settle for silver in the team championship of the Slovak Junior Open at Senec, Slovakia.
Indian girls defeated Serbia `A` 3-2 in a close summit-clash while Czech Republic `A` boys brushed aside Indian challenge 3-1 to claim gold in the boy`s event.
Sutirtha first defeated Aneta Maksuti 3-2 and then went onto beat Anna Fenyvesi by identical margin in the final match played yesterday.
Earlier, India got off to a good start with Manika Batra staging a great comeback against Anna Fenyvesi in the first match. Despite losing the opening two games Manika won the first match 7-11 3-11 11-4 11-4 15-13.
Reeth Tennison did not face much challenge from Serbian Viktoria Truzsinszki as she comfortably beat her 3-1 to give India a 2-1 lead.
The match was forced into decider after Manika was floored 0-3 by Aneta Maksuti.
The final duel was decided in a cliff-hanger which the 15-year-old Sutirtha won 8-11 11-9 8-11 11-2 16-14 against Fenyvesi to win the team championship.
In the boys`s event, Sudhanshu Grover and Abhishek Yadav were comprehensively beaten by David Reitspies and Jakub Seibert in their respective singles matches. However, Rohit Rajasekhar gave India a glimmer of hope when he beat Tibor Pavlic of Czech Republic 3-2.
But in the reverse singles match, Abhishek was tamed by David 1-3, with Indian team settling for a silver in the boys event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Wow! Soon you may find a robot greeting you at HDFC Bank
- Half of states expected to ratify GST by early September
- When Kareena Kapoor Khan got 'emotional' while walking Lakme Fashion Week runway
- Two dead, 41 hurt in bus crash involving Louisiana flood-relief volunteers
- Three accused of 2009 Sri Lanka cricket team attack killed, claims Pakistan