Indian girls win gold in Slovak Junior Open TT
New Delhi: Sutirtha Mukherjee led Indian girls to a gold medal finish while the boys had to settle for silver in the team championship of the Slovak Junior Open at Senec, Slovakia.
Indian girls defeated Serbia `A` 3-2 in a close summit-clash while Czech Republic `A` boys brushed aside Indian challenge 3-1 to claim gold in the boy`s event.
Sutirtha first defeated Aneta Maksuti 3-2 and then went onto beat Anna Fenyvesi by identical margin in the final match played yesterday.
Earlier, India got off to a good start with Manika Batra staging a great comeback against Anna Fenyvesi in the first match. Despite losing the opening two games Manika won the first match 7-11 3-11 11-4 11-4 15-13.
Reeth Tennison did not face much challenge from Serbian Viktoria Truzsinszki as she comfortably beat her 3-1 to give India a 2-1 lead.
The match was forced into decider after Manika was floored 0-3 by Aneta Maksuti.
The final duel was decided in a cliff-hanger which the 15-year-old Sutirtha won 8-11 11-9 8-11 11-2 16-14 against Fenyvesi to win the team championship.
In the boys`s event, Sudhanshu Grover and Abhishek Yadav were comprehensively beaten by David Reitspies and Jakub Seibert in their respective singles matches. However, Rohit Rajasekhar gave India a glimmer of hope when he beat Tibor Pavlic of Czech Republic 3-2.
But in the reverse singles match, Abhishek was tamed by David 1-3, with Indian team settling for a silver in the boys event.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back