Indian hockey captain Sardar Singh hospitalised ahead of Asia Cup
Zee Media Bureau/Manushree Chaumal
Ipoh: Indian hockey skipper Sardar Singh was hospitalized in Ipoh on Monday ahead of the team’s Asia Cup tour.
Sardar Singh is suffering from high fever and throat infection. Adding to the woes, Indian team is travelling without a team doctor due to which Singh’s medical treatment was delayed.
The 27-year-old was quoted saying in a leading daily that he initially thought it was just a minor problem. "But it became worse and I was hospitalised on Monday with fever," Sardar said.
Hockey India secretary general Narinder Batra informed that the team is travelling without a doctor as the army did not release BB Nayak, a regular member of the team’s support staff, for the tournament due to some reasons.
Sardar’s absence means a major blow to the team. India have to win the tournament to qualify for next year`s World Cup. India open their campaign against Oman on August 24.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest