Indian hockey squad felicitated
Pune: The Indian hockey squad, led by Bharat Chettri, was felicitated here for booking a berth for the upcoming London Games through the Olympics qualifiers, held in New Delhi in February.
Each team member, including the entire support and administrative staff, was last night presented with the latest I-phone 4S, a shawl and a bouquet by Emcure Pharmaceuticals` Satish Mehta, CEO, and Arun Khanna, COO.
"We understand that the entire nation is behind us and we are working extremely hard to ensure that the Indian hockey team will finish on the podium," said Chettri at the function attended by former India cricketer Chandu Borde and Padma Vibushan Dr K H Sancheti.
Calling the company a "friend", the India custodian recalled that it came forward and honoured the players of the 2010 Sultan Azhal Shah Cup with a silver plaque and a cheque of Rs 25,000.
Emcure had also sponsored eight players by signing a yearly endorsement contract, besides imparting training on team building and psychological strengthening to the entire team before the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
Team`s head coach Michael Nobbs said he was extremely pleased to play a role in transforming the bunch of talented players and expected them to soon become "world beaters".
"Such faith imposed in these lads by the public will surely help the boys to do better," the Australian said.
Mehta promised that more honours would come the team`s way if it finishes in the top six at the Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'