Indian hockey squad felicitated
Pune: The Indian hockey squad, led by Bharat Chettri, was felicitated here for booking a berth for the upcoming London Games through the Olympics qualifiers, held in New Delhi in February.
Each team member, including the entire support and administrative staff, was last night presented with the latest I-phone 4S, a shawl and a bouquet by Emcure Pharmaceuticals` Satish Mehta, CEO, and Arun Khanna, COO.
"We understand that the entire nation is behind us and we are working extremely hard to ensure that the Indian hockey team will finish on the podium," said Chettri at the function attended by former India cricketer Chandu Borde and Padma Vibushan Dr K H Sancheti.
Calling the company a "friend", the India custodian recalled that it came forward and honoured the players of the 2010 Sultan Azhal Shah Cup with a silver plaque and a cheque of Rs 25,000.
Emcure had also sponsored eight players by signing a yearly endorsement contract, besides imparting training on team building and psychological strengthening to the entire team before the 2010 Commonwealth Games.
Team`s head coach Michael Nobbs said he was extremely pleased to play a role in transforming the bunch of talented players and expected them to soon become "world beaters".
"Such faith imposed in these lads by the public will surely help the boys to do better," the Australian said.
Mehta promised that more honours would come the team`s way if it finishes in the top six at the Olympics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Saudi prince Turki Bin Saud Al-Kabir executed for murder in rare case
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!
- China's state media calls LeT 'Pak-based military group', downplays boycott call of Chinese goods in Indian markets
- India can only 'bark', its products can't compete: Chinese state media