Indian lifters book 3 quota places for Youth Olympic Games
New Delhi: Indian lifters booked two quota places among boys and one among girls for the Youth Olympic Games to be held in China in August after the conclusion of the 16th Asian Youth Weightlifting Championships at Bangsaen in Thailand on Saturday.
The Championship was the continental qualification event for the 2nd Youth Olympic Games to be held in August in Nanjing, China.
"Indian girls team was declared runner up with 164 points and as a result got 1 quota/berth for ensuing 2nd YOG Nanjing. 2 boys have already qualified for Nanjing YOG 2014," Indian Weightlifting Federation vice-president Sahdev Yadav said.
In the men`s section, India added one silver and two bronze through Karanbir Singh Bal in boys 94 kg category.
Karanbir, who was competing in his first international event, lifted 127kg in snatch for a silver and then went on to bag a bronze each in clean and jerk (153kg) and total lift (280kg).
On Thursday, Ragala Venkat Rahul had won two gold and one silver in the boys 77kg weight category. He had bagged a silver in snatch (133kg) and a gold each in clean and jerk (163kg)and in total lift (296kg).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured