Indian racqueters off to good start at Asian Team Championship
New Delhi: The Indian men`s and women`s teams got off to a good start at the 16th Asian Team Squash Championship, winning their respective opening round encounters against Singapore and China in Kuwait.
Both men`s and women`s teams notched up straight game victories at the Salem Al-Sabah International squash complex on Tuesday night.
The men`s team comprising of world number 25 Saurav Ghosal, Siddharth Suchde (world no 45), Harinder Pal Singh Sandhu (world no 92) and Mahesh Mangaonkar (world no 144) has been given top billing ahead of Malaysia, Hong Kong and Pakistan in the five-day long event.
India`s best performance in the men`s team championship was a silver medal in the inaugural edition of the tournament held in 1981 in Karachi (Pakistan).
The women`s team comprises of world number 14 Dipika Pallikal, Joshna Chinappa (world no 53), Anaka Alankamony (world no 94) and Aparajitha Balamurukan (world no 92).
The team has been seeded third behind Hong Kong and Malaysia.
The women achieved their best result, also a silver medal, at the last championship held in 2010 at Chennai.
Men: India beat Singapore 3-0 -- Mahesh Mangaonkar bt Pang Ka Hoe 11-8, 11-2, 11-7; Siddharth Suchde bt Sameul Kang 11-4, 11-9, 11-8; Harinderpal Singh Sandhu bt Marcus Phua 11-2, 11-7, 11-7.
Women: India beat China 3-0 -- Anaka Alankmony bt Xiu Chen 11-6, 11-4, 11-4; Dipika Pallikal bt Li Dong Jin 11-3, 11-6, 11-4; Joshna Chinappa bt Gu Jin Yue 11-3, 11-4, 11-5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next