Indian shooters fail to impress in Changwon World Cup
New Delhi: The Indian shooting team`s campaign in the ISSF Changwon World Cup started on a sour note with all the shooters, including Olympic gold medallist Abhinav Bindra, failing to make a mark on the first day of the event in Changwon, Korea on Thursday.
Competing in the men`s 10-metre air rifle event, Beijing Games gold medal winner Bindra, London Olympian Sanjeep Rajput and Chain Singh, all failed to qualify for the finals after finishing 15th, 19th and 25th, respectively.
The result in the 50-metre pistol men was slightly better, with Prakash Nanjappa just about managing a top-eight finish with a total score of 71.5.
Jitu Rai (ranked 13th) and Om Prakash (27) failed to clear the qualifying hurdle.
Rahi Sarnobat, Sushma Singh, Anisa Sayyed, Shreya Gawande and Annu Raj Singh will look to produce a better show when they take to the range for the final of the 25-metre pistol event on Friday.
In men`s 10-metre air rifle, Bindra shot 102.4 104.2 101.2 104.9 103.2 104.0 for a total of 619.9. Rajput totalled 618.2, while Chain Singh managed 616.2.
China`s Wang Tao won the gold medal with a score of 206.8 in the elimination round. Israel`s Sergey Richter bagged the silver after shooting 205.6 and the bronze went to Hungary`s Peter Sidi, who scored 182.2.
China`s Wang Zhiwei clinched the gold in 50-metre pistol after shooting 192.1. The silver went to Mai Jiajie, also from China, for scoring 191.2, while Japan`s Tomoyuki Matsuda settled for the bronze with a score of 171.5.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM