Indian shuttlers off to winning start in World Badminton
London: Indian shuttlers made a strong start to their World Badminton campaign, winning their respective encounters comfortably on the opening day of the event here today.
Ajay Jayaram beat 15th seed Kenichi Tago of Japan 21-12, 21-19, in a 40-minute first round contest.
The unseeded Indian will next meet Vladimir Ivanov of Russia who defeated Michal Matejka of Slovakia 21-10, 21-6 in another opening round match.
In women`s doubles, Commonwealth Games gold medallist combination of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa defeated American pair of Eva Lee and Paula Lynn Obanana 21-9, 21-18 to advance to the second round.
The experienced India duo now runs into the second seeded Chinese Taipei pair of Wen Hsing Cheng and Yu Chin Chien who got a first round bye.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor