Indian shuttlers off to winning start in World Badminton
London: Indian shuttlers made a strong start to their World Badminton campaign, winning their respective encounters comfortably on the opening day of the event here today.
Ajay Jayaram beat 15th seed Kenichi Tago of Japan 21-12, 21-19, in a 40-minute first round contest.
The unseeded Indian will next meet Vladimir Ivanov of Russia who defeated Michal Matejka of Slovakia 21-10, 21-6 in another opening round match.
In women`s doubles, Commonwealth Games gold medallist combination of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa defeated American pair of Eva Lee and Paula Lynn Obanana 21-9, 21-18 to advance to the second round.
The experienced India duo now runs into the second seeded Chinese Taipei pair of Wen Hsing Cheng and Yu Chin Chien who got a first round bye.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi