Indian teams in Asian squash finals
Chennai: For the first time in the history of the Asian Squash Championship, India is the men`s and women`s finals.
In the semi-finals here Friday, Indian women beat South Korea 2-0 to set up a title clash with Hong Kong, who overcame Malaysia 2-1.
The Indian men ousted Kuwait 2-0 to take on arch rivals Pakistan, who eliminated Malaysia.
In the women`s semi-final, Anaka set the ball rolling with a command performance, outplaying Yang Yeon Soo 3-1.
Anaka showed great maturity in her game to outrun her more experienced opponent.
In the second singles, India`s No.1 Dipika Pallikal lived up to expectations by cruising past champion Song Sun Mi in straight games.
In the men`s semis, India defeated Kuwait, who were supported by a vociferous crowd.
Harinder Pal Singh Sandhu, playing first, handled the tense situation superbly and contained the extremely aggressive Salem Fayez Mohammed.
Both players displayed superb retrieving abilities but Harinder emerged as the winner in straight games with his consistent display.
India`s No.1 Saurav Ghosal, the highest ranked player in the tournament, outwitted the talented Abdullah Al Muzayen 3-1.
Ghosal, an improved and mature player, had a precise plan of pinning Al Muzayen to his weaker backhand side.
This paid off although Al Muzayen displayed his characteristic finishing shots to the delight of the gallery.
"This is a remarkable performance, we are very proud of our players," said Cyrus Poncha after India`s historic entry into the final.
The results (semi-finals):
Men: India beat Kuwait 2-0: Harinder Pal Singh Sandhu beat Salem Fayez Mohammed 12-10, 11-9, 11-7; Saurav Ghosal beat Abdullah Al Muzayen 12-10, 12-14, 11-9, 11-7.
Women: India beat Korea 2-0: Anaka Alankmony beat Yang Yeon Soo 11-8, 8-11, 11-9, 11-2; Dipika Pallikal beat Song Sun Mi 11-7, 11-8, 11-2.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you