Indian TT team announced for Asian Championship in Busan
New Delhi: Ace paddler Achanta Sharath Kamal and national champion K Shamini will spearhead the Indian challenge in the men`s and women`s sections respectively, at the Asian TT Championships in Busan from June 30 to July 7.
The other male paddlers of the team include Soumyajit Ghosh, Sanil Shetty, Harmeet Desai and Anthony Amalraj while women`s team will be represented by veteran Mouma Das, Neha Aggarwal, Madhurika Patkar and Anikta Das, who is returning to the fold after recovering from an injury.
Bhawani Mukherjee and Arup Basak will be coaches while Arun Kumar Banerjee will accompany the team as manager, at the eight-day championships in the Korean city.
All the team members will be directly reaching Busan from Japan where they had gone to compete in the Japan World Tour. They had stayed on to train for the Busan championships.
"Though they had an up-and-down like performances at the World Tour event in Japan, their subsequent training in Japan has brought them into shape for the Asian meet," Bhawani Mukherjee said from Tokyo.
During the championships, the Asian Table Tennis Union AGM and elections will be held.
Newly-elected president of the Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI) P C Chaturvedi will be attending his first ATTU Congress. ATTU treasurer and TTFI secretary-general Dhanraj Choudhary will also be accompanying him.
Choudhary is likely to be retained as treasurer for the ATTU during the elections.
Ganeshan Neelakanta Iyer will be the deputy referee for the championships while Amit Singh will participate as an umpire.
Men: Achanta Sharah Kamal, Soumyajit Ghosh, Sanil Shetty, Harmeet Desai and Anthony Amalraj.
Women: K Shamini, Mouma Das, Neha Aggarwal, Madhurika Patkar and Anikta Das.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Helicopter crash kills six Vaishno Devi pilgrims, pilot near Katra; chopper service suspended