Indian TT team announced for Asian Championship in Busan
New Delhi: Ace paddler Achanta Sharath Kamal and national champion K Shamini will spearhead the Indian challenge in the men`s and women`s sections respectively, at the Asian TT Championships in Busan from June 30 to July 7.
The other male paddlers of the team include Soumyajit Ghosh, Sanil Shetty, Harmeet Desai and Anthony Amalraj while women`s team will be represented by veteran Mouma Das, Neha Aggarwal, Madhurika Patkar and Anikta Das, who is returning to the fold after recovering from an injury.
Bhawani Mukherjee and Arup Basak will be coaches while Arun Kumar Banerjee will accompany the team as manager, at the eight-day championships in the Korean city.
All the team members will be directly reaching Busan from Japan where they had gone to compete in the Japan World Tour. They had stayed on to train for the Busan championships.
"Though they had an up-and-down like performances at the World Tour event in Japan, their subsequent training in Japan has brought them into shape for the Asian meet," Bhawani Mukherjee said from Tokyo.
During the championships, the Asian Table Tennis Union AGM and elections will be held.
Newly-elected president of the Table Tennis Federation of India (TTFI) P C Chaturvedi will be attending his first ATTU Congress. ATTU treasurer and TTFI secretary-general Dhanraj Choudhary will also be accompanying him.
Choudhary is likely to be retained as treasurer for the ATTU during the elections.
Ganeshan Neelakanta Iyer will be the deputy referee for the championships while Amit Singh will participate as an umpire.
Men: Achanta Sharah Kamal, Soumyajit Ghosh, Sanil Shetty, Harmeet Desai and Anthony Amalraj.
Women: K Shamini, Mouma Das, Neha Aggarwal, Madhurika Patkar and Anikta Das.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal