Indian weightlifters book two quota places for Youth Olympics
New Delhi: Indian weightlifters earned two quota places in boy`s category for next year`s Youth Olympic Games in the recently-concluded World Youth Championships at Tashkent, Kazakhstan.
Indian boys bagged two silver medals and a bronze medal in the World Youth Championships, to finish joint fourth in the points tally and grab two quota places for the Youth Olympic Games, to be held in Nanjing, China next year.
Rahul Ragala Venkat had won a silver and a bronze in the boys 77 kg while Jamjang Deru had bagged a silver in the boys 50kg category. India fielded eight boys in the World Youth Championships and secured a total of 125 points.
However, the Indian girls narrowly missed out on a quota place for the Youth Olympic Games as they finished 16th overall with 72 points. The seven Indian girls returned empty handed from the World Youth Championships.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional