Indian weightlifters book two quota places for Youth Olympics
New Delhi: Indian weightlifters earned two quota places in boy`s category for next year`s Youth Olympic Games in the recently-concluded World Youth Championships at Tashkent, Kazakhstan.
Indian boys bagged two silver medals and a bronze medal in the World Youth Championships, to finish joint fourth in the points tally and grab two quota places for the Youth Olympic Games, to be held in Nanjing, China next year.
Rahul Ragala Venkat had won a silver and a bronze in the boys 77 kg while Jamjang Deru had bagged a silver in the boys 50kg category. India fielded eight boys in the World Youth Championships and secured a total of 125 points.
However, the Indian girls narrowly missed out on a quota place for the Youth Olympic Games as they finished 16th overall with 72 points. The seven Indian girls returned empty handed from the World Youth Championships.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown