Indian women aim for top 10 finish in world squash
Mumbai: The Indian squad, spearheaded by world No. 14 Dipika Pallikal, is aiming for a top-10 finish in the World Women`s Team Squash Championships to be held at Nimes in France from November 12-17.
"In 2010, the Indian girls finished 11th and we are confident of doing better this time," said team coach Cyrus Poncha before the team`s departure for the event.
"Seeded 10th this time, the girls will have to defeat Ireland and Argentina to top their pool before playing the round of 16 against the corresponding country from Pool H," Poncha said.
Apart from 21-year-old Dipika, the Indian team is made up of the vastly experienced Joshna Chinappa (world No. 32), Asian junior champion Anaka Alankamony (world No. 73) and junior No. 2 Aparajitha Balamurukan (world No. 142).
Poncha and Maj (Retd) S Manaim are the coaches.
The biennial event is being staged in France for the first time in its 33-year history. Argentina, Korea and Namibia are to compete for the first time in this edition where a record 26 nations will take part, according to a press note.
Pool line-ups (with seeding in brackets):
Pool A:  England,  Scotland,  Republic of Korea
Pool B:  Egypt,  Wales,  Mexico
Pool C:  Malaysia,  South Africa,  China,  Spain
Pool D:  Hong Kong China,  Czech Republic,  Colombia,  Namibia
Pool E:  New Zealand,  USA,  Japan
Pool F:  Australia,  Canada,  Austria
Pool G:  Ireland,  India,  Argentina
Pool H:  Netherlands,  France,  Germany.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi Police arrests AAP MLA in the middle of press conference
- Pak grants 91-year-old Indian's last wish - a trip to his ‘ancestral home’
- Bihar: Acid attack on girl in Aurangabad district, victim critical
- MP: Dalit families migrating from village due to hooligans
- Is there any political clash between Akhilesh Yadav and Shivpal Yadav?
- West Virginia floods: 20 dead, several stranded - Damage is widespread and devastating
- US Senator praises NSG after India failed to get membership
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd ODI: Alex Hales, Jason Roy power hosts to crushing win
- Tri-Nation series: Darren Bravo, Shannon Gabriel help West Indies topple South Africa
- China renews yellow alert for heat wave