Indian women beat Malaysia 5-1, enter Asian Champions Trophy final
New Delhi: Indian women continued their impressive show at the Asian Champions Trophy (ACT) hockey tournament as they spanked Malaysia 5-1 to secure their place in the summit clash of the event at Kakamigahara, Japan on Monday.
After being locked 1-1 at half time, India scored four field goals after the changeover to register their second consecutive win in the four-team women`s competition.
India, who stunned higher-ranked China 4-2 in their tournament opener, will take on hosts Japan on Thursday in their last round-robin match, which will also be a dress rehearsal ahead of Saturday`s final.
With two wins from as many games, Japan also sealed their place in the final of the women`s event. Japan today defeated China 5-1 in another match.
Against Malaysia, the Indian girls were slow to get off the blocks.
It was Malaysia who took lead in the 15th minute through a penalty corner conversion by skipper Nadia Abdul Rahman.
But India hit back nine minutes later when Poonam Rani (24th) converted a penalty corner to level the scores.
In the second half, it was India all the way as Neil Hawgood`s girls displayed incredible attacking hockey to run away with the match.
Namita Toppo (44th minute), Ritu Rani (52nd), Amandeep Kaur (54th) and Deep Grace Ekka (65th) scored for India to take the game out of Malaysia`s reach.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!