Indian women beat Malaysia 5-1, enter Asian Champions Trophy final
New Delhi: Indian women continued their impressive show at the Asian Champions Trophy (ACT) hockey tournament as they spanked Malaysia 5-1 to secure their place in the summit clash of the event at Kakamigahara, Japan on Monday.
After being locked 1-1 at half time, India scored four field goals after the changeover to register their second consecutive win in the four-team women`s competition.
India, who stunned higher-ranked China 4-2 in their tournament opener, will take on hosts Japan on Thursday in their last round-robin match, which will also be a dress rehearsal ahead of Saturday`s final.
With two wins from as many games, Japan also sealed their place in the final of the women`s event. Japan today defeated China 5-1 in another match.
Against Malaysia, the Indian girls were slow to get off the blocks.
It was Malaysia who took lead in the 15th minute through a penalty corner conversion by skipper Nadia Abdul Rahman.
But India hit back nine minutes later when Poonam Rani (24th) converted a penalty corner to level the scores.
In the second half, it was India all the way as Neil Hawgood`s girls displayed incredible attacking hockey to run away with the match.
Namita Toppo (44th minute), Ritu Rani (52nd), Amandeep Kaur (54th) and Deep Grace Ekka (65th) scored for India to take the game out of Malaysia`s reach.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!