Indian women finish fifth at World Team Squash
Nimes (France): India finished a best-ever fifth by defeating Ireland 2-1 in the classification match of the WSF Women`s World Team Squash Championship here.
Egypt overcame top seeds England 2-1 in the final to emerge champions while Malaysia defeated Australia 3-0 in the 3-4 classification match Saturday.
The championship came to a magnificent conclusion for India when the 10th seeds India beat Ireland, the No. 7 seeds, to win the fifth place. It was the teams` second meeting in five days.
Joshna Chinappa put India in the driving seat by beating Aisling Blake 10-12, 11-8, 11-7, 11-9, but 13-time Irish champion Madeline Perry levelled matters by gaining a revenge win over Indian number one Dipika Pallikal 11-7, 11-5, 15-13.
It was down to teenager Anaka Alankamony to clinch victory for India when the 18-year-old from Chennai defeated experienced Laura Mylotte 11-8, 11-7, 11-8 in the decider.
"It`s been an amazing week and this is so good for India," said Alankamony.
"I played her before on the club courts and beat her, but I like playing on glass so I was confident of beating her again. I think this was a big advantage -- but my team is a big advantage too!"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!