Indian women finish fifth at World Team Squash
Nimes (France): India finished a best-ever fifth by defeating Ireland 2-1 in the classification match of the WSF Women`s World Team Squash Championship here.
Egypt overcame top seeds England 2-1 in the final to emerge champions while Malaysia defeated Australia 3-0 in the 3-4 classification match Saturday.
The championship came to a magnificent conclusion for India when the 10th seeds India beat Ireland, the No. 7 seeds, to win the fifth place. It was the teams` second meeting in five days.
Joshna Chinappa put India in the driving seat by beating Aisling Blake 10-12, 11-8, 11-7, 11-9, but 13-time Irish champion Madeline Perry levelled matters by gaining a revenge win over Indian number one Dipika Pallikal 11-7, 11-5, 15-13.
It was down to teenager Anaka Alankamony to clinch victory for India when the 18-year-old from Chennai defeated experienced Laura Mylotte 11-8, 11-7, 11-8 in the decider.
"It`s been an amazing week and this is so good for India," said Alankamony.
"I played her before on the club courts and beat her, but I like playing on glass so I was confident of beating her again. I think this was a big advantage -- but my team is a big advantage too!"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP