Indian women pugilists set to leave for England
New Delhi: Former world champion L Sarita Devi and Arafura Games gold medallist Pinki Jangra along with seven other women pugilists will leave for a multinational training-cum-competition tour of England on Monday.
The training, scheduled to be held from November 14 to 30 in Sheffield, will witness eight countries taking part in the competition.
Participation in these competitions is a part of Indian Amateur Boxing Federation`s (IABF) preparation and groundwork for the qualifier event- AIBA World Championships and the 2012 London Olympics.
National Coach Anoop Kumar, who will be accompanying the team, believes the training in England will be a good exposure and a big learning experience for the boxers.
"This tournament will provide a perfect platform to train our boxers for the World Championships and the Olympics, moreover it will also help them get use to English environment and measure their own as well as their opponents performance," said Kumar.
"There will be joint trainings and sparring sessions. It will be beneficial to the girls in many ways. Competition would be of a friendly nature, therefore the athletes would not be under any sort of pressure and can train with an open mind," the coach added.
The nine-member Indian squad comprises of boxers in the Olympic weight categories only.
Leading the charge for the Indian team would be former world champion L Sarita Devi in the fly weight division.
"I have had a long break from international competition. This training would be a good way to get back in rhythm. It will also help us judge ourselves and the level of competition the host country has to offer," expressed Sarita.
Accompanying Sarita would be Arafura Games gold medallist Pinki Jangra.
The 21-year-old has been tagged as the giant killer in the domestic circuit and is keenly looking forward to the training stint in Sheffield.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena