Indian women`s hockey team ready to deliver at CWG: Hawgood
Glasgow: Indian women hockey team`s chief coach Neil Hawgood has said that his squad are ready to deliver big results at the Commonwealth Games to be held here from July 24 to Aug 2.
"While the team is young, but the kind of play that they showed on the recent Malaysian tour gives me reason to be proud of them and confidence that we will deliver our best performance here," said Hawgood, referring to the team`s recent exposure tour to Malaysia where they defeated the hosts 6-0 in the series.
"The girls are focused on their first match against Canada and we are working on the right team combination keeping the opponents in mind.
The practice sessions are helping us get acclimatised with the weather and the situation.
The focus is on passes and penalty corner conversions. It looks positive as the girls look glued to their goals."
The tournament will see 10 teams divided into two groups with India placed with Canada, New Zealand, Trinidad & Tobago and South Africa in Group A.
India will open their campaign against Canada July 24 before taking on New Zealand (July 27), Trinidad & Tobago (July 28) and South Africa (July 30). The top two teams from each group will proceed to the semifinals.
“The training sessions are picking up pace day-by-day as the tournament approaches. The team is excited and are putting in their best in practice.
The coach has designed various strategies and we are polishing them efficiently," said captain Ritu Rani.
"We are currently working on our penalty corner strategy and are confident of a winning start to the tournament.
The recent success story of the Malaysian tour has helped in boosting the confidence and we look forward to deliver similar results in the upcoming matches.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?