Indian women squad for Olympic Qualifier announced
New Delhi: Hockey India announced a 18-member women`s squad for the London Olympic qualifiers, to be held at the Major Dhyan Chand National stadium from February 18.
Led by midfielder Asunta Lakra, the team features most of the players who played in the four-Test series against Azerbaijan early this month.
Joydeep Kaur, who made a comeback in the 32-men probable after recovering from an injury sustained during the Australia tour in 2011, has been retained and will be joined by Jaspreet Kaur and Subhadra Pradhan in the defence line.
Lakra, her deputy Kirandeep Kaur, P Sushila Chanu, Deepika, Ritu Rani and Mukta Prava Barla will mend the midfield during the event which features Canada, Italy, Poland, South Africa and Ukraine, besides India.
Poonam Rani and Anuradha Devi will lead the forward line, which also has Rosaline Dung Dung, Jasjeet Kaur Handa and Vandana Kataria, while Yogita Bali and Savita are the goalkeepers in the final 18.
The team was selected on the basis of performances of the core group probables during the Azerbaijan Series by HI selectors, Olympians Col. Balbir Singh, BP Govinda, Syed Ali and Rekha Bhide and government observers Harbinder Singh and Dilip Tirkey.
The Indian Women Team for this tournament is as under-
Goalkeepers: Yogita Bali, Savita
Defenders: Jaspreet Kaur, Joydeep Kaur, Subhadra Pradhan.
Midfielders: P Sushila Chanu, Asunta Lakra, Kirandeep Kaur, Deepika, Ritu Rani, Mukta Prava Barla.
Forwards: Poonam Rani, Vandana Kataria, Rani, Soundarya Yendala, Anuradha Devi, Rosaline Dung Dung, Jasjeet Kaur Handa
Standbys: Rajani Etimarpu (Goalkeeper), Pinki Devi (Defender), M N Ponnamma (Midfielder), Deep Grace Ekka (Midfielder), Anupa Barla (Forward), Lily Chanu (Forward).
India will open their campaign against Ukraine on 18th February to be followed by matches against Canada, Poland, South Africa and Italy on 19th, 21st 22nd and 24th.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter